Thread: Laptops, How do they stay cool and clean?

Laptops, How do they stay cool and clean?

I have a desktop tower and every so often I open it up and clean the dust
    from the fans, processor, etc. I think it is a good ideal to keep the inside
    of my system clean. I always wonder how would a person keep a laptop
    clean. Is it necessary. Do laptops use fans simular to a desktop? How does
    a person keep his laptop cool and clean if he wants to keep it for a while?
    thank you,

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Some laptops incorporate a small fan on the rear usually under the LCD on the base of the unit.

Some employ a heat pipe system and some employ a heatpipe and fan combo. You can usually pinpoint it out by the sound or a quick visual inspection.

They make some cooling solutions that you can mount or strap to the bottom of the laptop to add extra cooling like so:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/revie...antec/301_305/

More below:
    http://www.svc.com/nb-coolers.html

As for cleaning:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258

That shows one way to do this. But it depends on your laptop. Check your laptop manual for details on your specific model.
    Last edited by Big Booger; November 20th, 2004 at 11:30 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Rinse it out in the sink...

j/k

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Rinse it out in the sink...
    Now that, I'd like to see!

Send me one...I'll make a video.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    They make some cooling solutions that you can mount or strap to the bottom of the laptop to add extra cooling like so:
    That works good when it's on a table or desk, kind of awkward in your lap. When my LT is in my lap it gets so hot it heats my nuts up WoW! I'm going to invent a laptop nut cooler I tried a jock stuffed with ice cubes and that worked pretty good but you get embarrassed when you get up & everyone thinks you piddled your pants from melted ice

When I figure a way to line the jock with that blue gel stuff you put in freezer I'll be rich.

There have been cases where people have gotten 2nd degree burns from using the laptop as its name says, putting it on your lap.

Anyway, a laptop is extremely compact there is practically NO space at all in between the parts for it to catch dust. The only place with dust will be usually a small aclove where the processor is hidden, thats where the fan and or heatpipe is located. I think a very powerful vaccum is enough to clean that part out.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    There have been cases where people have gotten 2nd degree burns from using the laptop as its name says, putting it on your lap.

Anyway, a laptop is extremely compact there is practically NO space at all in between the parts for it to catch dust. The only place with dust will be usually a small aclove where the processor is hidden, thats where the fan and or heatpipe is located. I think a very powerful vaccum is enough to clean that part out.
    My Toshiba Satellite 5205-s705:
    1) Has Burned the top of my desk and peeled off the top laminate layer
    2) Has melted the bottom of the laptop causing it to "sag" down.
    3) You can light a cigarette off the cooling fan at any given time.
    4) Returned home from 'warranty work" with a: we cleaned the cooling fan (which did no good)

Although it replaced a Compaq which ran pretty cool from what I can remember, its a known problem

I havent tried any aftermarker cooling fans, im hoping this SOB will melt while still under warranty.

If you can literally "light a smoke" on it, then you have a safety issue. If you start saying that when speaking to them it should be replaced.

It can light a cigarettee??!! Its a fire hazard! Better have it changed! Must be like 150 degrees centigrade!
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    He might be able to get off from work early if they have Fire Ban days!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---