Thread: Bill Could Make It Illegal To Skip Ads On DVDs

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Bill Could Make It Illegal To Skip Ads On DVDs

A new bill before Congress could make fast-forwarding through ads and previews on a DVD you watch at home illegal.

The bill allows for technology that lets families edit out explicit scenes or material. But broadcast companies have lobbied hard to keep commercials and movie trailers off-limits.

"Their concern is, if it becomes easy for people to skip ads, then their whole business model goes down the drain," said Gigi Sohn, of Public Knowledge, a Washington, D.C. advocacy group

Media executives said their goal is not to throw people in jail for skipping ads, but they are trying to protect the motion picture business.

http://www.nbc5i.com/technology/3933372/detail.html

What a way to appeal to the customer.. enforce them to watch crappy ass commericals and trailers... thank god for DVD rippers and editting software.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    What a way to appeal to the customer.. enforce them to watch crappy ass commericals and trailers... thank god for DVD rippers and editting software.

Bronze Member
    I just read about this from the Inquirer. Completely retarded! If (BIG IF) they ever pass this I will be going the netflix/ripping way from now on. NO WAY I would buy a dvd that forces you to watch ads! Here's the article from the Inquirer.
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=19801

surely if you bought the dvd why should you have to watch the ads?

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Fox
    surely if you bought the dvd why should you have to watch the ads?
    Great point, but those greedy bastards want you to watch thier ads so they can keep making more money from you. Why should you PAY to watch ADVERTISING? Just like at the movie theaters. Have you been to a movie lately?? They have 10-20 minutes of COMMERCIALS before the damn movie. That burns me pretty bad - as if they don't get enough money from charging $10+ per person! I rarely go to movies anymore. If I do I go for a '2 for one' special.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousesk
    Great point, but those greedy bastards want you to watch thier ads so they can keep making more money from you. Why should you PAY to watch ADVERTISING? Just like at the movie theaters. Have you been to a movie lately?? They have 10-20 minutes of COMMERCIALS before the damn movie. That burns me pretty bad - as if they don't get enough money from charging $10+ per person! I rarely go to movies anymore. If I do I go for a '2 for one' special.
    We always go 10 minutes later than the film is supposed to run. It usually works out perfectly. We catch the bit about keeping the theater clean.. and then the beginning of our feature presentation.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    [music on]"Lets all go to the lobby, lets all go the lobby...."[/music off]

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    We always go 10 minutes later than the film is supposed to run. It usually works out perfectly. We catch the bit about keeping the theater clean.. and then the beginning of our feature presentation.
    Except when the cinema is packed and you end up sitting right up the front

Titanium Member
    ....screen generated retina eye scanner accounts for all viewers - so if you leave the room during a commercial/ad you will receive a citation. If you stay you will earn a 10% discount coupon for your next Pita-Pocket purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    ....screen generated retina eye scanner accounts for all viewers - so if you leave the room during a commercial/ad you will receive a citation. If you stay you will earn a 10% discount coupon for your next Pita-Pocket purchase.
    Lynch, that is the funniest thing I think you have written in all the time you've posted.

And what's more it could be the future... 1984 is right behind you.