Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gateway 2000 P5 - 100

Titanium Member

Gateway 2000 P5 - 100

Hello. Friends bought one as first computer. It does not work. I turns on but in bios shows HD not installed or connected (something like that) They were messing with the connections and do not know where to plug the HD and CD rom into the MB. Is anyone familiar with this or can point me into a direction where I can find instructions? Thanks.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sorry d00d but the first place to look is to their tech support. Or is that not a new system? I'm not familiar with Gateway models. I say to call their support line first because some companies are touchy about opening the system when the warranty is concerned...

Titanium Member
    This is ancient. Probably pentium 2 or so.

edit - yeah, "100" is 100mhz.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 22nd, 2004 at 05:30 AM.

Oh ok...Try the following link. I believe it is the support docs for the system you are working on...

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...MI036ATC.shtml
    Last edited by rik; November 22nd, 2004 at 16:17 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...00000035.shtml

From rik's link, that one seems to show the location of the IDE slots. So you can hook the HDDs to the primary, and the CDROMS to the secondary. And the bottom is the floppy. If you look closely on the motherboard it should be printed right next to the slots. all of mine are.

Titanium Member
    This board has two in the middle and one near the bottom left side.(only 2 are stacked - one is several inches to the left and on the bottom edge (looking at board from bottom of case to top)

Primary=HD secondary=CDrom?

**edit - if this is the case then the HD is not being recognized. I can hear it spin but in bios says not detected or something like that.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 22nd, 2004 at 18:38 PM.

Is the cd recognized? If so swap cables, swap IDE ports, clear bios...

Titanium Member
    I have done so but
    clear bios
    - what's that?

Bronze Member
    Take the battery out, and unplug it. Or there may be jumpers to do that, OR even in BIOS there may be a way to clear the BIOS.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    how big is the hd?

some old computers cannot recognize hd over 500mg or is it 800mg?

others cannot see over 8 gigs

you get the picture.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    There are a couple HD's in there. They are strange looking - not fully encased

Like Mousesk said there may be a way within the bios to reset it to it's default settings. and that is normally how it's shown...Reset Defaults or some such depending on the bios.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I have a tip that no one thought about. HD configured well in the BIOS, but not recognized, plus CD ROM light on. One quick solution
    Did you plug the EIDE cable the right way ??
    red line is pin1, match it to the pin1 in the motherboard. Newer boards come with a notch, but I had the problem that sometimes the cable doesn't have it. Check the motherboard around the HD connectors for the location of pin1.
    Also, check jumpers. It is best this way, the device conected at the end of the HD cable should be master, then in the middle should be slave. Also, if you have a CD-ROM and a HD in the same cable, the HD should always be the master. HD can be CD_ROM's master, but not the inverse.
    Finally, in the mobo you should have also which IDE bus is which. Usually it says IDE 1 and IDE 2, or IDE 0 and IDE1. The lower number is the primary chanel, there is where you boot drive should be set (as master)
    If you still have problems, try the drives adding one at a time. First the drive that is the boot drive (Usually the one with the OS, but this is not always the case) This drive should be in the primary channel and also should be the master. Boot, if it is detected in BIOS, add the NEXT drive. If you tells me exactly how many drives you have I could tell you all their config.
    Make a list for yourself when installing them, as which are master, and which slave. COnsidering the system is Pentium 1 (there is no P2 100MHz) the mobo doesn't support cable select)

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25
    I have a tip that no one thought about. HD configured well in the BIOS, but not recognized, plus CD ROM light on. One quick solution
    Did you plug the EIDE cable the right way ??
    red line is pin1, match it to the pin1 in the motherboard. Newer boards come with a notch, but I had the problem that sometimes the cable doesn't have it. Check the motherboard around the HD connectors for the location of pin1.
    Also, check jumpers. It is best this way, the device conected at the end of the HD cable should be master, then in the middle should be slave. Also, if you have a CD-ROM and a HD in the same cable, the HD should always be the master. HD can be CD_ROM's master, but not the inverse.
    Finally, in the mobo you should have also which IDE bus is which. Usually it says IDE 1 and IDE 2, or IDE 0 and IDE1. The lower number is the primary chanel, there is where you boot drive should be set (as master)
    If you still have problems, try the drives adding one at a time. First the drive that is the boot drive (Usually the one with the OS, but this is not always the case) This drive should be in the primary channel and also should be the master. Boot, if it is detected in BIOS, add the NEXT drive. If you tells me exactly how many drives you have I could tell you all their config.
    Make a list for yourself when installing them, as which are master, and which slave. COnsidering the system is Pentium 1 (there is no P2 100MHz) the mobo doesn't support cable select)

Excellent advice Dehc.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, you know...I had to create a system for myself after I found myself opening several times the same PC because I tried to do it quickly and screw something up I probably have installed 100s of drives, but over confidence tends to do that