Thread: Can I host internet connection to a router?

Can I host internet connection to a router?

I was wondering, can I setup my computer to be the host computer and than have a cable going to the WAN port on my router and have other computers in my house connect to the router and get online? If I can, how do I do this?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Definetively it is a weird way, but I think it can be done. You will have to have 2 NICs in your computer, and set up Internet Connection sharing. Then the other computers will connect to the router, which then uses you as a gateway.
    Might I ask why you want to set it up that way?
    Your computer will be having all the traffic, that could be an advantage and a disadvantage. As advantage, you could control the connection, lets say if you have kids, you can disconnect them. Or you could sniff all connections. Disadvantage, all that process is going to eat lots of resources.
    Why don't you set up the router first, and then every computer behind the router? Plus, your computer would also be protected behind the NAT of the router

What does NIC mean do you mean ethernet cards cause I got two in my comp already. I tried to run my network setup wizard after I made the proper connectiong but the second ethernet card sending the cable to the WAN port on the router was saying it was disconnected when it wasn't, I don't think it was configured to be outputing the info. so I need to know how to set that up, if I am gonna do this. the reason I want to do it this way is because I am having problems with my router as I posted: http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12848

OK, so..that is why. Well, I honestely don't think that is a good enought reason to go thru the hasle of setting the internet that way
    I had that problem with MSN, and I did open the ports and all that. I can't remember how I fixed it. I know this, it is because the router is closing the comunication ports. Have you tried upgrading the firmware? This might be a recorded issue with Lynksis since I had the same router (version 1.4) I use now a D-Link, and when I get disconnected I get disconnected completey So I have to soft reset the router. It is bothersome, but I prefer this to the other solution, which is spend 300 in a Cisco router. I am also in my 3th router, since I tend to destroy them (I mean, they get too un-realiable). I have never set up Internet connection sharing myself since I don't like the solution. Roputers are extremely cheap. Consider that you spent more money on the resources of your computer that are being consumed by the sharing, than what it cost the router, not to mention the extra benefits of always on, restarting your computer doesn't shut Internet and so on.
    NIC = Network Interface Card, and yes are the Ethernet cards.
    Another thing you might want to consider are the NICs health. Maybe it is the nic. Try using a different NIC and a different port in the router.
    To top it of, I think the WAN port in the router is a cross over port, and not only that, you need to use the router as a gateway more than a router. Leave NAT on, but don't use the WAN, instead connect your computer to a port, like the other computers, and tell the router your IP is the gateway (private IP).
    At work we did a proyect similar last week, but we were mixing conections type in order to get a 11b device to connect to the Internet thru GMP network. It was cool, but I did not pay atention to the Internet Conection Sharing

I don't think there is an update for my firmware but that can't be the problem because other computers hooked up work fine. and its not the card or the ports I have 2 cards hooked up to two diff ports on the router, I did that just to make sure it wasn't one of the connections.

Ahhh, I just remembered , the IM work a lot better when you enable UPnP in your computer (and the router)
    Thought, be warned that this is also a security issue.

I don't care about security as long as it works, how do I do that?

so how exactly, can you takle me through the exact steps to setting up my computer as the host to a router, how do I setup my second ethernet card to output the internet connection.

well, lets see. First for the preferable method: UPnP
    Log on into your router configuration (probably 192.168.1.1)
    Enter your password. I hope you changed the default password which is admin, because it must be the most known password on the net. Somewhere there is a setting to enable UPnP. I don't know exactly where, because I haven't used that router for a long while already.
    Next, in your computer Go to Start | Run and type services.msc
    That will open the services console. Go down to Universal Plug and Play Device Host. Make sure the service is started and that the start type is Automatic.
    Now, go to the properties for Windows Firewall and make sure that UPnP Framework has a check mark. (you can also disable the Firewall to make sure it works, and after it works troubleshoot it). Also put the AIM int he Exeption list.
    I am guessing you have Windows XP Service Pack 2, since I don't really have more info about your set up.
    Now, go to Network Connections and refresh. At the top you should have another connection under the category "Internet Gateway"
    It will say Internet Connection.
    That means your UPnP is working. If you have your IM running, properly that is it. IF not, check for recomendation which ports to enable in the Internet Conection part. I don't use IM, but I had this problem with MSN messenger. There is a port that is used to keep the conection alive. It might be the port you mentioned in your post.
    Right Click Internet Connection and select properties. From the Internet Connection Properties Window select Settings. In the Advanced Settings Add in the Services the ports needed and the IP address of your computer internally.
    Lynksis router also support entering this thru their web Interface, but I don't remember which worked better.
    WARNING!! NOTE!!! ATENTION!!!!
    It doesn't really matter if you care or not about security, but you lose more if you preffer to have IM than security. I can't emphazize enought how important a firewall is. IF you don't get a virus coming in, you will get hack, or DoSed. In Broadband connection there are about 50 DoS attacks every 15 minutes. IT doesn't matter whetter you have something important or not. The router will block most of them, but opening too much will leave you vulnerable, and I strongly don't recomend your computer before the router. If you want to experiment, install a firewall on the computer, like sygate. Leave it conected for a day withouth the router, and then check the security log. I don't know what is your skill with computer, or how you take cyber security, so don't take badly what I am writting. If you know the risk involved you wouldn't open the PC, and probably just want to make it work now, and close the PC connection once IM is connected. When I had the problem with MSN I just used a different program that would keep me connected instead, like Trillian

Just my 2 cents

I still want to set it up so my computer hosts the internet, can you please instruct me how to do it?

Ok, I am not really sure how to since I never did it, but the process should be...
    Set static IP address in one of the adapters to match criteria of the router (192.168.1.XXX) then DCHP on the other one, which will be conected to your cable modem. Get IP from Internet. You should be surfing now. Bridge the connections on the computer.
    Set the router to use your computer as the Gateway, and set the DNS that the ISP assigned you. Done.
    Check Internet in one of the computers connected to the router. You might have to do ipconfig /release, and then ipconfig /renew to get IP changes.
    This is in rought what I would do. I will check on Friday at the office to see how we did it, but in the mean time, try this, and let us know if you have problems.
    Remember that your PC will bear all the traffic, so you might make the whole connection a lot mor eunreliable now. All this is CPU process and it could get intensive. There is a way to make the NIC do the calculation. I posted it on the Tips and tweaks section a while ago