Thread: data transfer

Triple Platinum Member

Question data transfer

i have a pc running win xp sp2 and a laptop runing win 98 se..i have some data on the laptop which i want to transfer to my pc so that i can write them to a cd...how would i be able to do that....the data is in the form of .jpeg files so transfering them all on floppies and then copying from it could be a pain...

i thought of using usb cables to connect the laptop and the pc...but was wondering if the laptop would get recognised by my pc or would i require some drivers or somin...(sorry if that made no sense! )

well.. does the laptop currently have a NIC card? if it does, i would go get a crossover cable and be done with it. plug them in, share the parent folder, and you're set.

If u have usb cable connect with them, I remember it need "laplink for usb" to tranfer file between them.

Triple Platinum Member
    umm nic card..will find out abt that....wat abt the "lap link for usb" any more info on that...?

Quote Originally Posted by rohitkumar
    umm nic card..will find out abt that....wat abt the "lap link for usb" any more info on that...?
    Laplink is a program for transfering files from a PC to another one. It works with USB cable but I remember it worked also with serial or parallel cable (very slow!!).

If your notebook and your PC have two ethernet cards (NIC), the easiest way for moving files is using a crossover cable as suggested from Zak8022.

Triple Platinum Member
    thanks carloc...and zak and lemoncoke...