Thread: I need to Hide "My computer" Icon from the Start Menu

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

I need to Hide "My computer" Icon from the Start Menu

I am setting up a Kiosk machine. We had had a machine like this for years, but due to recent misuse I have to lock it completely down.
    This actually has been my most interesting project in a while, since I can fully see and use the advantage of group policies in a Domain. Lots of FUN, REALLY
    So far, almost good. This machine is a Windows XP SP2, I installed all updates. It only needs to run Outlook to get email (which I got working perfectly) and Internet Explorer for an Intranet. My intranet only solution is very interesting. I set up the proxy to be the intranet server. Since there is no proxy, it serves only Intranet pages. So, no matter what you put in the address bar (google.com for exmaple) it takes you to the Intranet. No "Not found page", no "Access Denied" BEAUTIFUL in other words.
    I restricted the access to the Tools menu (I restricted the access to every menu). I restricted the access to every control panel aplet, and to every section inside the network properties. Control panel does not apper anywhere in the PC also. I am really telling you, it is a well done job. Even if they could get pass a level, it is restricted in a different level (Security by layers)
    I might have restricted too much because I can't open Internet Explorer thought, but I am braking my head to find out why.
    Anyhow, I didn't see any option to hide the "My computer" con in the start menu.
    I know that probably you know how to do this If you know how to do it thru the GPO it would be a lot better.
    If you guys are interested I can even make an html report of the policies, so they can be follow to create a kiosk machine. Cheers

Titanium Member
    You mean this?

rt.click bottom of start menu/properties/startmenu/customize/advanced - add tick
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 24th, 2004 at 18:12 PM.

U are a genious
    I attached a pic of the setup ready.
    I couldn't find any way to run extra programs
    I think maybe I should post this in Desktops

Titanium Member
    Now you just have to disable the ability to change start menu preferences

how about that "winrollback" app? No matter what anyone does, a reboot returns it back to normal. - more info in the "nekid" thread

For Windows NT, Win2000, Windows XP : wrbntpri.setup.exe(361KB!)

WinRollBack PRIVATE Edition is another Datapol first product and currently the only one that gives you the possibility to protect your computers in absolute unique way. Offer your users to do anything on their PCs. After a reboot all protected partitions are automatically restored - without any images!
    WinRollBack PRIVATE Edition works inside Windows without modifying any of the original Windows files!
    Very early at the boot time of Windows WinRollBack PRIVATE Edition is loaded and protects already here far before the shell is started any protected partition/drive.

As soon as a user clicks the button "Deactivate WinRollBack" and types in the correct password the security will be deactivated until the PC is rebooted. If the user doesn't know the password WinRollBack will continue to protect all partitions/drives specified for the given PC.

As long as the PC is protected a user can:

Format any protected hard-drive

Modify the partition table

Modify the bootsector

Delete any files/folders

Add any files/folders

Infect any files with viruses

Defragment the hard-disk

Run CHKDSK or scandisk on the protected hard-drive

ALL changes he does are wiped away as soon as the PC is rebooted!

To do this there is absolutely no need for WinRollBack PRIVATE Edition to copy any images or anything like this. A simple restart is enough.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 25th, 2004 at 00:18 AM.

Well, I have one tip for you. My method is not as advanced, but it provides a lot of security agains changes (inside Windows)
    I don't want to restrict that much either, because then, updates will be lost at restart. I also want a way I can do administrative stuff inside the computer. And since time is money, if I need to change the computer I want the new PC to have same setting and this one to lose them all together.
    Exept for the My Computer icon, every other change is just a policy. Since the computers are in a Domain it is a Domain policy, so local policy have no effect. Beyond that, there are no local accounts to access and I renamed administrator (not to mention my admin password has 12 characters and it is composed from 5 of 5 groups) This password is not meant to be remembered but to be there and never be touched again (unless I really must do)
    So, even if they could change something, just login again will put the settings as I defined
    Top this with as long as the computer is added in the tree in AD with the user, not only the user is affected but any other user not DOMAIN ADMIN.
    BTW the taskbar was locked long ago , and right clicking anywhere doesn't bring any menu. Lets say that some magical way you can open an explorer, typing local locations doesn't do anything, but (This action was restricted by the administratort. Please contact your local administrator or support). Same from Internet Explorer.

BTW, this can also be aplied locally, and there is even a way apply policies by user groups. I will look the document how to aply by user group later. Right now I am babysitting

Titanium Member
    You could have just said start a user account and delete if there are problems (password protect "admin" account -- use fast user switcher to make changes/installs). Sorry, I did not read your whole post. - Is that what you said?

and there is even a way apply policies by user groups
    By file/folder or the whole drive with xp pro
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 25th, 2004 at 03:25 AM.

????
    You completely lost me in that last post
    It is late here....so I am kind of sleepy.
    My post was just kind of a little review of the changes I did thru policies. I got everything working out right thanks to your tip.
    And the last post was that using domain GPO (policies) I also assure that the settings stay as I put them, even if they were changed somehow, which is highly, super, ultra unlikely to happen. I even was thinking on creating a similar set to use localy, so I could pass you guys to play with. It really has everything blocked