Thread: Power Supply Question

Silver Member

Power Supply Question

i came here before needing help and uguys did a great job....now another question in my current system i have a XP2800 1 gig of ram 3 120gb hd's a dvd burner and 2 extra fans....i ordered a 6600gt which should be here within the next few hours :/ (i should have came here before i ordered but too late now) anyway my question is once i get my new card in which requires a connection to the power supply which currently my 9600 doesnt will my agi 300 watt psu be able to handle it if not what would u recomend as a cheap yet efficient and reliable psu....thanks for all ur help i hope to get a reply soon!

Bronze Member
    A 300 watt?? I was hoping you were going to say 400, that might be possible. But the 3 hard drives, and new vid card... I would say go with a 500 Watt, but Egghead would be a better judge. (I personally might even go 550 just to be sure.)

Silver Member
    i had a shitty offbrand 430 watt that fried the moment i put my friends 9800se in it so i put this one in and was able to softmod and overclock his 9800se without any probs so imo i think this is a good psu since it hasnt fried yet ive also done extensive overclocking on my system with this psu and nothing has happened thus so far

Silver Member
    another thing once i get this card i dont plan on overclocking anything i just want to use it just like it is and im wandering if i would have any problems runnin my system off of it

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think you should try your power supply and at the same time save up for a good one

IMO the power supply is one of if not the most important of all hardware. People always want the best mother boards, video cards and the best CPU but skimp on the power supply

BTW I know your not skimping, you came here out of concern so your on the right track

Silver Member
    what kind of power supply should i get then...what would u recomend for my system i mean i dont need a top of the line just something that will work and i wont have to worry about it failing on me thanks for the help

Enermax
    Antec
    Fortron

All 400 watts or better That's the ones I know are good, I'm sure other members have good experience with other brands.

I use the OCZ PowerStream 520W and my son has a Antec 550W TrueControl.

Titanium Member
    dang, Fastgame - thatsa lotta powa.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    dang, Fastgame - thatsa lotta powa.
    Yep and when Santa comes I'll have a OCZ 600W cuz I've been a good boy

http://www.xoxide.com/ocz.html

I'll give my son the OCZ 520W because I'm a cheap skate good boy

Hmmm wonder what I should do with the Antec 550W

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Hmmm wonder what I should do with the Antec 550W
    Goodwill? Nah, I say your son's friends or your neighborhood friends would be next in line. (immediate family, then immediate community)

Silver Member
    mabey since ive been a good boy too u could send me the Antec 550W screw ur sons friends who needs them anyway....jk jk

btw so far my surrent psu is holding out ive been runnin my 6600gt for about 7 hours now and everything seems fine...noi funny smells as of yet anyway

another thing u ur helping me a little here but no offense u havent answered my question yet can u tall me a good/CHEAP/reliable psu

posts merged
    Last edited by Reverend; November 25th, 2004 at 14:37 PM.

Titanium Member
    I could send you mine but it's cheaper than yours! (no name brand)

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    a good reliable PSU doesn't mix with cheap, thought they are not as expensive as you might think. The Antec trueControl has a fancy control to regulate the speed of the fan. You could get the version that doesn't have the extra bay for the controls. As recommended look at least for 400Wats.
    IT is kind of hard to recommend sometimes, because it depends on the Amps of the PSU, more than in the watts. A 350 good reliable with good Amp will be a lot better than a 600 cheapo.
    Antec True 430 starts at 69 in pricewatch. If you want to spend a little more, get a modular power supply, to reduce clutter of cable inside, thought since they are kin of new, there is limited offer

Silver Member
    well thanks for the help i do some lookin and hopefully find a good one....where would u find one of these modular psu's at for a good reasonable price....keep in mind i dont have too much money left to spend i spent quite a bit on my 6600gt.....and how do u find out how many amps ur psu is?
    Last edited by Nate89; November 25th, 2004 at 18:13 PM.

I know this is a bit late but sue me I just joined.

There's an excellent review of 18 PSU's ranging from 300-600w at anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...oc.aspx?i=1841), and their winner (I'll save you 28 pages of clicking) was a Fortron Source 400w PSU. I'm running the exact model mentioned (FSP400-60PFN) with an A64 3400+, 1GB, 2 Raptors (10krpm SATA drive), a 6800GT and a DVDROM drive with no problems whatsoever. In fact, it ran fine on the Enermax 350 I had in there but I wanted something beefier. So I think you'll be just fine without having to step up to the 500-550+ range.

Fortron makes excellent PSU's but you will have to pay a bit more. The model mentioned above goes for $60 at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-974&depa=0). A cheaper alternative for a really good PSU is Thermaltakes' silent PurePower line, they make a 400 for around $45 or so last I checked.

Hope that helps; if those are too pricey check out the anandtech reviews for slightly cheaper but still decent quality units and you should find something that will suit your needs.