Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winlgn.exe

winlgn.exe

Hello, i have a problem with winlgn.exe I can't access any of my files
    What's the problem?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hello fja, welcome to techzonez.

can you be more specific with your computer details and the actual difficulty you are experiencing?

It is very difficult to troubleshoot the problem without more information about this.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Win XP. I have an error on winlgn.exe. I can't access any of my files. I get an error with failed to load vendorprefs. What information do you need?
    Last edited by fja; November 26th, 2004 at 18:17 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fja
    I have a Win XP. I have an error on winlgn.exe. I can't access any of my files. What information do you need?
    A quick search on google came up with this,
    Did you mean: winlogon.exe
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

Can you boot to the login?

or do you get an error message?

are your files password protected and encrypted?

can you boot into safe mode? press f8 before windows starts and select "safe mode"
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I can boot on and i get an error message everytime. My files don't require a password i don't think, but access is denied

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    After the error can you use the computer normally?

Question same problem

I am having the same problem. I guess I will list them all...as they might just be related. I have a feeling it is some type of virus..just need to know which one and how to get rid of it.....if you might have a suggestion.

When I try to download ANYTHING at all.....I get the message.....""" was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. So downloading any virus scanners or programs to help....is not working.

I am also getting error messages from time to time when I try to open programs.....such as......VendorprefsRoot is null or not an object.......or required parameter (SearchCtrlProgId) not found......or failed to load VendorPrefs.

Also.....I am able to see programs on my computer like microsoft word....abbyy finereader 5.0......zonelabs.....incredimail......picture software.....basically everything on my computer.........but none of them will open for me. The error message usually says.......Thie application has failed to start because "VSUTIL.dll.....or whatever the program is"....was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem. But most everything is offline downloads I purchased.....and then there is that downloading problem.......ugh

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Driving me crazy!!!!

Welcome to Techzonez. When did the problem begin?

I think the computer actually "went down" May 22nd.

Thanks

Have you tried a System Restore to just before that date?

well the problem was....when it all happened....my son was on the computer...he said that it popped up to do a system recovery and it started doing it. So the ststem has been recovered and now there is no restore dates available before that date. I thought it was my son that just screwed things up but am beginning to believe that it is a virus of some type. What do you think? Any suggestions?

It's a spyware/adware trojan (winlgn.exe that is) which normally comes as part of a crapware bundle that downloads lots of nasties to your pc. If you download a program called 'regseeker' and use it to search your registry for entries of winlgn.exe and delete them it should cure that part of the infections. You should only do this if you are confident that you know what you are doing and you have backed up the registry 'just in case'.

Otherwise download and run HijackThis and post the log file so we can see all the nasties and help rid you of them.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

the main problem is.......I CAN'T download anything.......so none of that will work :0(

Thanks for tryin :0)

Pattie

I have no idea where to start with you two.

I'm not getting what I need to accurately troubleshoot and with the possibility of a virus ... at this point, I'd suggest backing up all data and performing a full system restore (not a reinstall).

Might try downloading from a different system and bring the tools over on a cd.