Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AVAST 4.5.542 is out

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

AVAST 4.5.546 is out

For those of you using AVAST click on your program update, this version works better.

Want to try a good free AV or view change log go Here
    Last edited by FastGame; December 1st, 2004 at 03:50 AM. Reason: wrong revision

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Good find FG.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I love how this AV updates itself without manually having to download and install.

Titanium Member
    Thanks FG - hey, I wonder when Avast is going to warn me that I have a virus, in zip file, sitting on my desktop for the past 3 days. If I try to context scan it, it does nothing - if I try to context scan rar files, it works. Maybe I have set up incorrectly?

Here's another tool (maybe the same)

avast! External Control (AEC) tool was designed to extend avast! Antivirus functionality and security.
    AEC gives you almost full control over avast! Home Edition or Professional Edition.
    You can fully disable/enable and Auto-Restart avast!, change update and VRDB generation intervals, tweak many hidden settings and view detailed avast! Antivirus status.
    External avast! component launcher gives you ability to scan files externally or even schedule Boot-Time scan directly from AEC. avast! Status Info function can be used to dump status log, so Alwil staff can easily help you on avast! Forums. Most functions is limited to Windows 2000/XP only.

AEC is a standalone application (extract&use) with integrated Smart Auto-Update feature.
    download (scroll to end) http://www.excessive-software.tk/
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 30th, 2004 at 17:25 PM.

Did you try this yet LK?

Titanium Member

So...whaddaya think?

Titanium Member
    I dunno - it works?

I have not played with it yet but what annoys me about Avast is the fact when I "stop on-access protection" by right click sys tray, it seems you have to go through 2 clicks (processes) just to get it started again.

See this screenshot? I have stopped it but it still says "stop......." - you should be able to restart it here

Last edited by lynchknot; November 30th, 2004 at 19:24 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Thanks FG - hey, I wonder when Avast is going to warn me that I have a virus, in zip file, sitting on my desktop for the past 3 days.
    try to move the virus or open the zip and see what AVAST does, tell me where I can get that virus I want to test.
    I dunno - it works?

I have not played with it yet but what annoys me about Avast is the fact when I "stop on-access protection" by right click sys tray, it seems you have to go through 2 clicks (processes) just to get it started again.

See this screenshot? I have stopped it but it still says "stop......." - you should be able to restart it here

I agree with you but why are you stopping it instead of pausing it ? pause does the same and it's easy to start back up.

LK you should join the AVAST forum http://forum.avast.com/ after you get done with them we'll have a super AV.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    try to move the virus or open the zip and see what AVAST does, tell me where I can get that virus I want to test.

I agree with you but why are you stopping it instead of pausing it ? pause does the same and it's easy to start back up.
    oh ok thanks! That works. Trying to download file worked as well. But once on desktop, it won't recognize the file with "resident" - yet?

virus: http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12516

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    oh ok thanks! That works. Trying to download file worked as well. But once on desktop, it won't recognize the file with "resident" - yet?

virus: http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12516
    Avast allows the download but once you scan it the alarms go off.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Avast allows the download but once you scan it the alarms go off.
    My Avast did not allow download until I let it - however, now that it's sitting on my desktop, it has not said anything for the past 3 days -i'm waiting for resident to come across it, but when?

I put URL in addressbar and "go" I did not click "ok" at this point - nor did I chose to open or save - so it did not download.

**hmm, not that I look at the screenshot, it must be looking at previous download of the file - but why has this attempted download trigger the warning? I'm going to empty temp and try again.

Last edited by lynchknot; December 1st, 2004 at 00:27 AM.

Titanium Member
    Interesting - How does this file get into my computer when I have not even started downloading it? I later opened it and sure enough, those executes where there

Gold Member
    It sounds like many are impressed with this AVAST AV. Would you recommend I use this AV instead of AVG that I have now ??

It looks like as soon as you looked at it, it went into your Temp Files...

I didn't realize it was that quick.