Thread: Problems with nVidia nForce3 mobo firewall

Bronze Member

Unhappy Problems with nVidia nForce3 mobo firewall

Howdy, folks.

I've just built a new machine around the EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo.

The mobo uses the Nvidia NForce 3 250Gb chipset, which has firewall functionality.

The firewall looks ok, and has most of the bells and whistles I expected, except for the monitoring and logging abilities, which are relatively primitive.

So far, so good...

I then noticed that I have problems accessing one of my regular news sites http://www.nettavisen.no

I eventually traced the problems down to the firewall. As soon as I shut it down, the site works perfectly.

I then attempted to create a custom profile, based on the "off" settings - that is everything allowed, so that I could attempt to turn on feature after feature to see what causes the problem. Unfortunately, just leaving the firewall on with all functionality turned off leaves the site non-functional. The browser times out.

Some more mucking around in the web-based interface reveals that the information table shows that trying to access the site leads to one "Denied outbound TCP segments" (+ some other allowed inbound and outbound packages.) However, the log shows absolutely nothing, zip, zilch, nada, so what actually gets denied is still a mystery. (I said the logging and monitoring abilities were somewhat primitive.)

What gives ? Can anyone what a motherboard with this chipset duplicate these results, and does anyone have any ideas on what to try next (besides killing the firewall, that is...)

Btw. Name lookup and traceroute shows exactly the same results with and without the firewall. The browsers I've tried are Firefox and Exploder.

Kind regards

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi Fenalaar

I never used my Nvidia firewall but for you I tried it. Now the bad part, I can get to your site just fine so I don't have an answer

Maybe clean all temp files, cookies and flush your DNS ??

I'm having a similar problem with my nForce4 board (A8N SLI Deluxe). Using the nForce firewall, it blocks a certain website (www.postbank.nl). Even disabling the firewall doesnt always solve the problem, but when I switch to the other onboard ethernet adapter - for which the nVidia firewall doesnt work - the problem is gone. It seems the firewall blocks the attempt to connect to the page, though I haven't yet figured out why it blocks this page and not others. I'm going to report it to nVidia, see what they have to say about it.

Bronze Member
    That site shows the same symptoms as http://www.nettavisen.no.

If I turn the firewall off, the site works.

If I use my standard profile, it doesn't.

If I generate a profile, based on the "off" settings, the site doesn't work.

Whenever I use the firewall, I turn on logging of everything but successful connections and packets. This setting should log everything that gets denied. However, whenever I clear the tables and access either nettavisen.no or postbank.nl I can see in the information tables there's a few outbound packets that gets denied. I can't see anything turn up in the log, though. If I could only use the log to se whatever the fsck was going on!

Nvidia definitely needs go get back to the drawingboard and revove extra, undocumented features on this one. When I tell it to log everything it denies, I expect to get a report of everything in the log

Johan-Kr

I have same problem on www.americanexpress.com

I am using an ASUS K8N board, have problem accessing www.americanexpress.com whenever the firwall is turned on.

Any solution?

Titanium Member
    I cannot reach nettavisen.no either. There have been reports that some cannot reach my site - in fact, there have been many reports to other webmasters of the same issue recently. For weeks I could not reach a couple sites, that I am member of, unless I used a proxy - now, just as suddenly, I can.
    I spoke to admin that hosts my site (In the U.K.) his response may be related - I don't know...

From what I can tell by a DNS trace some of the US ROOT-SERVERS arent getting some information properly which could cause an issue with people getting to the domain. This could also be the cause of not being able to get to other sites but depends more on your ISPs nameservers. If you are using a proxy then the requests would go through the proxy and whichever nameservers the proxy is using.
    Last edited by lynchknot; December 29th, 2004 at 04:53 AM.

No problem for me to reach http://www.nettavisen.no. I am not using a software firewall. Just using XP and router firewall.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeek
    I am using an ASUS K8N board, have problem accessing www.americanexpress.com whenever the firwall is turned on.

Any solution?
    Same symptoms here, too.

Firewall on -> No access. Firewall off->works fine.

With the firewall on, some TCP packets are denied, but no mention of them in the log...

Oh - by the way... Using a proxy seems to fix the problem. (Or rather - remove the symptoms...)

Kind regards

Johan-Kr
    Last edited by Fenalaar; December 31st, 2004 at 00:01 AM.