Thread: Improving Performance

Improving Performance

I bought my computer about 3 years ago.

Pentium 4 1.4ghz
    384 RDRAM (I hate Rambus RAM. It is so expensive to upgrade)
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (32mb)
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

I think that is all the information that you all need to answer my questions.

1. What do I need to upgrade (essentially) to improve the speed of games. I can play games like Morrowind, Grand Theft Auto III, Sims 2, and games like that, but they are sometimes slow.
    2. Since you all will tell me to upgrade my video card, what kind do you recommend?
    Last edited by boren5674; November 30th, 2004 at 22:06 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    videocard is the way to go!

You card right now is very bad and i'm surprised ou can play gta3

you will be happy with any directx 9 supported card from ati and nvidia.

the games will run smooth and look 1,000 times better with even better effects.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Many Thanks

Thanks Egghead. I am upgrading my computer quite a bit with Christmas coming up.
    Signed,

Jake Boren

yea, i'm with Egg on this. upgrade the video card first. then if you still want to upgrade more, i would look into the cpu. (tho that one should be alright for most games).

Depending on your budget that is. If you say you need only the essentials, I guess that you have a limited budget.
    1. A new video card. The mainstream ones that are affordable are Radeon 9600 to Radeon 9800 series. I think the GeForce FX 5600 to 5900 are similar in performace. For compatibility with your motherboard, these will do. I assume since your computer is three years old, its a 4x motherboard? These cards are 8x but will work on a 4x motherboard with only a slight degrade in performace but its almost impossible to detect.

2. A newer processor. Depending on your motherboard, it can only support a range of processors. Since its already using 1.4GHz which is OK for most games, I think it can support only up to 1.6Ghz. I cannot be sure. If you want a new processor like in the range of 2.0Ghz upwards, you must get a new motherboard.

3. Add more ram. I know RAMBUS is expensive. The custom HP ones are too. But for today's games, a minimum of 512Mb is recommended for performace.

Ya, that should answer most of your questions if not all. If you have any more questions, do feel free to ask!
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield