Thread: Should I dump NIS in favor of BitDefender

Bronze Member

Should I dump NIS in favor of BitDefender

With NIS getting more and more bloated and slowing my system down, and with the new forced activation in the next version I am thinking that instead of investing in the new version of NIS I would just dump NIS altogether and go for BitDefender as it claims to be as effective as Norton and does not slow your system down as much.

I've heard a lot of people have had issue with Zone Alarm so I will not go that route.

Should I dump NIS in favor of BitDefender?

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Halder

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Never heard of BitDefender. I'm using Zone Alarm together with Avast and I think they're a good combination. You could also try Sygate and Agnitum Outpost firwall.

Titanium Member
    Dated and take with grain of salt: http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...se_2004_08.php

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I like Sygate & Avast, my PC seems zippy after using Nortons all these years. I also liked AVG except when they had that big update problem. Lurking in the AVAST forum showed they picked up a lot of customers when AVG couldn't update. Guess AVG 7 is fine now ?

Try some free AV's and firewalls before you go and buy something.

Yes you should try BitDefender, then you will see that it is pants. You will soon be turning off all the security features as they become increasingly annoying and you will finally give up and go to a different product. Panda is probably the best but it depends on the complexity of your set up and what exactly it is you want. AVG 7 free with Sygate Personal Firewall will be plenty for most home users on XPSP2. If you want to pay then BlackIce and Antivir Workstation is a good bet. I use Norton AV with BlackIce and it don't slow nothing down during PC use - it is slowish to load at start up but believe me it is way superior to BitDefender Pro. None of the AVs do much of a job with Adware so you also need SpybotSD, SpywareBlaster and IE-SpyAD installed to give you a chance.

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    I personally found BitDefender v8.0 standard to be one of the best AV's i've ever seen.

I know theres tastes and theres tastes, but i haven't seen the product put a step wrong yet.

Of course, as part of general security i'll always have another scanner installed such as avast!

But i haven't had the urge to "double check" Bitdefenders standards yet

Things change - since my last post I would now say Bitdefender Pro + is all quite nice, I have lots of machines running lots of softs so I let them all have a chance. The turnaround came about mid-feb when it started to become quite usable and stable and catch lots of naughty things.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Ya, i should of put the past into concideration, my bad, but thanks for the input!