Thread: Gateway Solo 5300 512MB ram Upgrade HELP!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Gateway Solo 5300 512MB ram Upgrade HELP!

I advised a friend to get some upgrades for his laptop. It had like a 6 GB hDD, 128mb of ram, and is a PIII 933mhz.

Overall a good laptop, and would be even better with the upgrades I suggested:\

512MB PC 100 SO-DIMM RAM

and an

60GB Toshiba 7200 RPM 8mB cache HDD.

I got the HDD in and it works perfectly.

Now on to the major issue.

The RAM. I know it is the correct ram for the laptop. I double checked the specs on gateway's site, and I checked crucial, and the ram type in the notebook itself.

I know the RAM modules we received work, because I tested them in another laptop that uses the same PC100 SO-DIMM 144 pin ram.

They work fine.

So I put them in his laptop, the screen won't come on.. I thought I messed the laptop up.

So I put the 128MB module back in and the screen works fine and the machine boots.

So then I attempt to add a second module to the 128MB for a 384MB total. The machine boots but when I went to install XP it hung...

I don't know what to do. I used my TWIN MOS ram (256MB module PC100 SO-DIMM 144 pin) in this machine and it wouldn't boot as well...

I don't know what to do.

ANy suggestions? Does gateway use some proprietary RAM modules or something?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Check the bios. Put the RAM in and see if it is recognized in CMOS. If so try resetting the bios defaults and see what that does.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Whenever I put the ram in, The video is not displayed.. no matter what I do.

If I leave the original in and add a 256MB stick to the open slot, it will boot but it hangs giving an error: pci.sys or some other .sys file is causing and issue.