Thread: Internet Connection Help

Internet Connection Help

Ive been having a couple of problems with my Internet connection lately.

Im not sure if they're related..

Im on a network (LAN) w/ a linksys router. Running WinXP. If theres anything else you need to know just ask... (not too knowledgeable about these things)

The first problem is that sometimes I will get a "network cable is unplugged" message. To solve it, I shut down the computer, and disconnect and reconnect the cable and everything is ok.. (The green light at the back of the computer where the cable connects goes off when I get the unplugged error..so its my guess that its either a network card or cable issue... )

The second happens sporadically, and I dont seem to know whats causing it. While Im connected to the router and the physical connection seems ok, I cant seem to receive any packets (I can send them though), thus no internet connection. I can ping the router fine as well...just cant connect to any other site like yahoo. This has happened a few times before and seems to automatically fix itself over time (sometimes days)...I dont do any one thing in particular to get it fixed. I tried releasing and renewing the IP , repairing the connection, but nothing seems to work, or at least not immediately. I can give you specific configurations if you ask (dont know what to provide here)...

Just wondering if there's anything I can do or try to fix the second problem and if these two problems could possibly be related (faulty network card or cable?)..

Thanks for all your help.

hrm... well, i would guess that the 'network cable unplugged' error and your lack of internet capabilities are not directly related. notice my choice of words: directly

to deal with that network cable unplugged bit: when this happens, have you checked to see if the router is actually on? i know its stupid... but i cant think of a time when i've had that happen to me and the router has been on. if i ever unplug my router while my pc is on, it gives me that error, but never other than that. its a stretch, but are you sure your router is receiving its proper power?

however, it sounds like your router and LAN setup are ok to me, but it seems that 1) your outgoing packets die at the router, or 2) your incoming packets never make it to the router. or both, possibly.

i would also assume u are on some sort of broadband? if so, what kind? cable/dsl/t1? how long have these symptoms been around? its possible that your ISP is glitching out and dropping service for a couple seconds, which is enough to screw up the communication between the router and modem.

here's a quick fix in case it happens again. not a permanent solution, but try it and let us know if it works. next time it seems your internet goes down like you described, but you can still ping the router, unplug both the router and modem. let them sit for a minute (i do mean a full minute or more, not just unplug, then plug right back in). after that, plug in the modem first. give it another minute to startup. once all the lights have stabilized, plug in the router again. give that another minute to stabilize itself with the modem. then, try accessing a webpage. if that does not immediately work, release/renew your lan IP addy and try again. this usually solves any problem i have with my internet connection (save for an actual ISP problem).

i am not sure if any of this is gonna end up being helpful.. but there it is anyways, lol.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Good suggestions Zak8022.

Also, I assume your router has a light on the port the computer is connected to. When you get the disconnected message does that port light go out? You also mentioned that you can ping the router but can you ping anything outside the router...maybe your default Gateway or a DNS server IP?

Might also be worth trying to just bypass the router for a bit and see if you continue getting the disconnected message. At least that would narrow it down a bit. Then replace the cable. Then replace the NIC.

Let us know how this goes...

oh yea... i didnt even think of that rik. take the router out of the picture for a little bit to test it out. connect the pc directly up to the modem and see how things go.

duh. lol.

Thanks for all your help. The connection started working again yesterday (by itself) so at least Im online. Ill try everything you said if it happens again.

But now Im getting a whole new problem (something that hasnt happened before) - the connection is just really slow. MSN, ICQ other IM services keep disconnecting. My download speed is pretty bad, although Im able to browse ok. I tried toggling with the whole link speed/duplex mode (tried changing it from 10 full to 100 full) and it gave me a "limited or no connectivity error" ...so I changed it back after releasing and renewing the IP. Im on a cable connection btw.

Right now I dont have access to the router since its in someones room (its a big house) which is locked..but will check that out as soon as I can.