Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Typhoon

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Super Typhoon

Hey guys, I'm in the midst of a super typhoon over here. It's as big as the whole country! Not sure if were going to experience power loss. Click the link for an image of the typhoon.

http://typhoon2000.ph/activeflash/stormloop.htm

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    That's odd to have a super typhoon during winter?? What the hell is going on down there? "Day before the day after tomorrow?"

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    That's odd to have a super typhoon during winter?? What the hell is going on down there? "Day before the day after tomorrow?"

Take care.
    We just finished with another typhoon a couple of days ago at that! This is really weird to have it at this time of year. Normally we don't experience any rains from November all the way to April.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I can barely see the land image.What are the wind speeds?Hope no one gets hurt,take care man.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    I can barely see the land image.What are the wind speeds?Hope no one gets hurt,take care man.
    Wind speeds are at 185 to 220 kph. So far it's not too bad here in the city.

I hope to god it doesn't head north

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I was watching that on Fox news, man it looked like the whole country was flooded

Wish the best for ya Conan

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Good Luck Buddy.

Keep your head down Conan.

It has been several hours since his last post. He may have lost power.
    Last edited by efc; December 2nd, 2004 at 23:34 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    wow!

I hope you guys are ok Conan!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back guys! We only had 2 very short power interruptions. The wind seems to have lessened by a lot now. Not yet sure how the rest of my country was affected.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Not yet sure how the rest of my country was affected.
    can't you watch tv, looked like a giant lake. helicopters were plucking people out of the trees

Glad your ok

Triple Platinum Member
    glad to hear ur ok conan!

Philippines: 1,000 dead or missing

Rescuers are battling to reach thousands of people left stranded in the Philippines, where storms have left 1,000 people dead or missing.

The latest typhoon, which sliced through the nation on Friday, led to the evacuation of almost 170,000 people.

Typhoon Nanmadol made landfall late Thursday along the northeast coast with sustained winds of up to 185 kilometers (115 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 220 kilometers per hour, slicing through the main island of Luzon Friday morning, The Associated Press reported.

The news agency puts the human toll at more than 550 people dead, with hundreds missing.

Schools and government offices remained closed Friday in Manila and the rest of the country, the presidential office announced.

"Based on reports from our troops in the field, they have listed 479 dead and 560 missing in three towns in Quezon province," Reuters quoted military spokesman Lt. Col. Buenaventura Pascual as saying.

Hundreds of soldiers battled to find and rescue scores of people marooned by rising floodwaters before the typhoon made its landfall.

Nanmadol is the third major storm to strike the region in the past two weeks.

The coast guard prevented ferries, small boats and fishermen from leaving ports, and the air force said the bad weather had basically grounded its rescue fleet.

The typhoon drenched Manila and most of the country, causing flooding on some streets and temporary power outages in the capital.

"We are very concerned and we are not sure how we can avoid further casualties in these areas," Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman told Reuters.

"If you go on the slopes, the ground is very loose. If you go on (lower) ground, the water can rise and you might have mudslides."

The recent spate of storms has caused an estimated $14.7 million in damage to crops, livestock and fisheries, Reuters quoted the agriculture department as saying. The government has appealed for international aid.

Japan said it would provide tents, generators, water tanks and other items, and the United States said it would give $100,000 in aid and provide engineers to help clear roads and build bridges.

Illegal logging has been blamed for exacerbating the disaster, and President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has ordered a nationwide crackdown on the practice.

Relief operations are based in the three towns of Real, Infanta and General Nakar, a region of about 110,000 people on the eastern foothills of the Sierra Madre mountain range.

In Real, where more than 100 people have been killed, residents trudged through deep mud to try to reach higher ground before Typhoon Namadol hit.

Chocolate-brown mud buried swathes of Real and two nearby fishing and farming villages.

One woman frantically called ABS-CBN television, begging to be rescued from a rooftop.

"All my relatives are dead. I survived because I was able to go to the roof," The Associated Press quoted Tessie Munar, owner of a Quezon province resort, as saying.

"My sister is dead, my husband is dead."

A navy gunboat set to bring food and medicine to Real was forced to turn back Wednesday due to rough seas and debris, AP quoted Capt. Geronimo Malabanan as saying.

Regional military commander Maj. Gen. Pedro Cabuay said about 400 troops set out for Real on foot with relief supplies in their backpacks and in boxes perched on their heads.

He said the route to Real had been blocked by as many as 20 landslides, AP reported.

"We are not concerned so much about saving property. We just want to save lives," said Filipina America, mayor of another hard-hit town, Infanta.

Even for a country used to typhoons, the devastation has been staggering with large portions of the northeastern Philippines under water.

Many of the dead were killed when torrential rain and wind sent water, logs and mud cascading through three coastal towns.

"There are a lot of persons missing so we expect the figure to rise," Philippine Defense Undersecretary Ernesto Carolina said.

A typhoon and another storm last week killed at least 87 people and left 80 others missing in the east.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc...orm/index.html

Sounds like a really violent and destructive typhoon to me...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It was terrible according to the news...Glad our Conan made it thru ok tho