Thread: Spyware question

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Exclamation Spyware question

OK, I really need your help on this one guys
    What do you think of screensaver.com web site. How are the screensavers?
    The reason I am asking is that from my experience a lot of screensavers are bundled with spyware (or worse sometimes).
    For example Living waterfalls, includes the favorite man. I had users download screensavers from that site and then be infested. There could be other ways to get infested but I had my suspicious on that site (more on the download themselved)
    opinons?? Please
    Also, if you have documentacion (web links) it would be of great help

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    found this on the web

their advertising policy http://www.screensaver.com/Advertising_Policy.cfm

Screensaver.com is a free site. As such, it is necessary for us to cover our costs through advertising revenue. This includes advertising on the site, as well as bundling advertising into the files we host for download.

Screensaver.com has always been--and will remain--a "G" rated site. Any advertising included on our site or in our downloads is carefully screened to ensure it does not contain offensive material, spyware or any software that does not meet our high standards.

When you download a bundled file from Screensaver.com, you may first be prompted to view some ads. Generally there will not be more than just two or three ads, and viewing the ads is optional. However, since we need the advertising revenue to keep the site free, we greatly appreciate any time you can take to view our sponsors' ads.

Unlike other sites, Screensaver.com is totally up front about its advertising in downloads. We make it very clear the offers are being made by us, separate from the author of the file that was originally downloaded. The ads are opt-out and you can skip the ads altogether if you wish. Furthermore, once you've seen the ads, we won't show the same ads again for a short time. This means that you can continue downloading files without being annoyed with the same ads over and over. We have worked hard to strike a balance between our customers' desires for a fun experience free of advertising and our own need to generate revenue to support our web site. We hope you will appreciate the efforts we've made.
    Last edited by egghead; December 3rd, 2004 at 22:41 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, that was the first thing I checked. Actually I found pretty disturbant this:
    The RISSNet family of web sites works with Post Master Direct. Post Master Direct may at times share your information with their affiliated companies and specially chosen marketing partners, who may send offers to you online and offline. They may also seek personally and non-personally identifiable information about you from our marketing partners, where you have given them your consent or where such information is otherwise publicly available or is modeled based on such voluntarily provided or publicly available information. Such information may include postal, demographic or transactional information
    That page can only be accesed from the web page. Check at the bottom in privacy policy. (next to the advertising.)
    Thanks for highlinting the BUNDLE part. I did not notice that word there:P
    If there is more info, like some other site I will apreciate it

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    screensaver files are very tricky. You take you chances. It really doesn't help to tell you but .scr files can contain executing code and can be used to install trojans and spyware.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    All true. But I appreciate their candor in their EULA. Of course just because they announce this doesn't mean that they always follow their own rules...

You just have to be careful always with "free" stuff.

My problem is..that I blocked the web site. And now, I am pushed to provide concrete support evidence of my good judgment (or non good)
    You guys probably know how it is. Everything is fine until upper management wants it. It is always upper management the security risk and policy violator, and I am kind of strict with them