Thread: 9800 Pro or 6600GT?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

9800 Pro or 6600GT?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=P450-8529

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics

Which should I choose? It's for my little brother. He wants a card. He requested a 9800 pro. but I want to get him the best bang for the buck.

XFX GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / HDTV
    For the first time ever, GeForceís incomparable 6600 GT video card is available in AGP! Yes, this is the world premier! If youíve been dying to experience the most awesome gaming graphics in the universe, youíre just a mouse click away from destiny! Donít miss out on this first-in-a-lifetime opportunity! You wonít believe the astonishing visual power of the nVidia GeForce 6600 GPU! Itís the only GPU in its class that supports Microsoft DirectX9.0 Shader Model 3.0! This stupendous card delivers ultra-realistic effects and features with rock-solid stability. Youíll be able to play your games the way the designers intended them to be played. Lush, vivid colors. Dazzling special effects. Kaleidoscopic images. Visions you never believed youíd witness on your computer screen. This astounding video card has NEVER been introduced in AGP anywhere else! Donít let this remarkable, low-cost offer pass you by!
    Price:
    $229.99

or

ATI Technologies 100-435002 Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    RADEON 9800 Series of visual processors is the most visually advanced 3-D performer on the planet, delivering an immersive, cinematic experience for the most demanding next-generation games with up to 256 MB of DDR memory and a 256-bit memory interface. Merging advanced stability with revolutionary features, RADEON 9800 Series is the only Visual Processing family in its 2nd generation.
    Price: $230.84

Still debating it though so please chime in with your opinion.
    Last edited by Big Booger; December 5th, 2004 at 12:18 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I think the 6600 GT wins by a bit.

I'm digging the hDTV compatibility. BUt I am still unsure. What makes you take the 6600Gt over the 9800 pro conan? I need to justify this with my brother if I buy it.

If he is playing HL 2, get the ATI. This is becasue HL 2 actually forces nvidia cards to work harder than normal so you wan't get the optimal performance. If not, the 6600GT is a better choice.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    What makes you take the 6600Gt over the 9800 pro conan? I need to justify this with my brother if I buy it.
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1755.3/

For $40 more you can spank both cards http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-068&depa=0

[edit]= I'm sitting back waiting for the "WTH my brother will have a kick a$$ game card and I'll have an old bla bla 9600...." to sink in your brain

Thats easy to fix, give your brother your card and get yourself a 6800 GT

Who said Christmas can't have a selfish motive behind it.....
    Last edited by FastGame; December 5th, 2004 at 14:37 PM.

BB, you know that I am not a gamer so take this for what it is worth.

I was not able to find comparative benchmarks on the two cards in a shootout test. That means you have to rely on the manufacturers benchmnarks. That is always problematic. Both appear to be GREAT cards.

In your situation, I would choose the 9800 Pro, since it is the one your brother requested.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I was not able to find comparative benchmarks on the two cards in a shootout test. That means you have to rely on the manufacturers benchmnark
    I gave him a link in my post http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1755.3/
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    BB, In your situation, I would choose the 9800 Pro, since it is the one your brother requested.
    True, brother must know what he wants and if something goes wrong with what you talked him out of you know how that goes.....

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame

[edit]= I'm sitting back waiting for the "WTH my brother will have a kick a$$ game card and I'll have an old bla bla 9600...." to sink in your brain

Thats easy to fix, give your brother your card and get yourself a 6800 GT

Who said Christmas can't have a selfish motive behind it.....
    Great points FG!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Also you will have to check if the 6600GT version is AGP, as they were initially native PCI-X based.

I think the Brother may have requested the ATi since the 9800 Pro is known as the 'bad-a$$' card to must have, but new technology is out now X800 or 6600/6800 series.

In any case, he wont be disappointed with either card.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well he plays Everquest and Call of Duty..

I bought a 9800 pro today 128mb with 256bit memory bus. I am debating keeping it and buying the 6600GT for him, or just send him the 9800 pro and upgrade mine later.. I don't know.

We'll see.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Great points FG!
    I tend to agree with Conan on this one.

Well thats a nice card BB, your bro will be happy. Do you have a PCI-X board or want to upgrade to one soon?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    go for the 6600gt i have one works like a charm runs hl2 highest setting max resolution 4xAA and 16xAF no stuttering get the agp version if u dont want to upgrade thats what i got.... and u can find a comparability at anandtech.com 6600gt wins big time

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    I'm a serious ATI guy myself, the cards are strong and realiable and the drivers are far less confusing!

I hate the nvida graphics driver situation, how can you have so many driver updates and be regarded a serious company?

Regardless of power and speed, i'm always going to be an ATI man until nvida releases solid drivers that are realiable and with far fewer updates.

I'm a big ATi fan too Gimmie, but i wouldnt be praising ati's drivers too much either... remember the classic 'ESC' bug from CS/half-life, then their was the 9500/9600 BSOD in XP for one catalyst version... list goes on...

Now, granted Ati have in the past made great cards, and drivers a fairly reasonable (OMEGA does great work), the last couple of mid-range ati cards are lacking, especially compared to 6600 series...

I think next year will be a tough year for both Nvidia and Ati, as the X800 are great, but so are the 6600/6800 series, the only winner is us gamers! Cant wait for the price-wars to start too

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---