Thread: Dell 3000 vs. Dell 4700

Gold Member

Dell 3000 vs. Dell 4700

I am looking at the Dell 3000 and 4700. The literature seems to inducate the 3000 is an entry level PC. I see that it usually has a slower processor (Celeron, single channel ram memory, smaller HD etc). But I see several Dell
    3000's for sale on e-bay that have the better processor, memory, HD etc. and they are cheaper than the 4700's. Is there anything else that I might be overlooking between the 3000 and the 4700. Is the 4700 better quality ? Is there a better motherboard in the 4700 etc. ? All the above do come with a full warranty from Dell, so that is not an issue. I currently have a Dell 4600 that I bought on e-bay and also got the full warranty from Dell. Any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations are appreciated.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13
    I am looking at the Dell 3000 and 4700. The literature seems to inducate the 3000 is an entry level PC. I see that it usually has a slower processor (Celeron, single channel ram memory, smaller HD etc).
    You can customize the PC's and upgrade parts @Dell thats why you see some on eBay that are different.

The 4700 is better because it has the 800 FSB processor and PCI Express mother board as opposed to the 3000's 533 FSB AGP hardware. You can upgrade the 3000 to a 800 FSB P4 and it'll cost less than the 4700 but the 4700 has better graphics than the 3000.

Dell 3000 and options

Dell 4700 and options

IMO the best would be upgrade the 3000 to a 800 FSB P4
    Last edited by FastGame; December 5th, 2004 at 15:14 PM.

The quick check that I made reveals little difference between the two machines. The 3000 has an Ultra-ATA HD while the 4700 has a SATA HD. The 3000 has a CD in addition to a CDRW while the 4700 has a DVD plus a CDRW. Both have P4 3.0 GB processors.

If you need the hand holding provided by Dell tech support, then buy either one of these machines. They will do the job.

If you are more independent minded or you want to continuously upgrade your machine buy a custom built computer from one of the vendors listed below. You can research and choose every component that goes into the machine.

ibuypower.com

cpusolutions.com
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Gold Member
    Thanks to FastGame and efc for your comments. efc-I do not need hand holding from Dell. As a matter of fact, when ever I did have questions I got better and quicker responses right here at Techzonez than from Dell !

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13
    I do not need hand holding from Dell. As a matter of fact, when ever I did have questions I got better and quicker responses right here at Techzonez than from Dell !
    Thats right and if TZ recommends something we stand behind it with unlimited tech support

man the PC's that efc links to are way better than Dell IMO, go get one...A64 if you like my tech support
    Last edited by FastGame; December 5th, 2004 at 15:49 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    eh hmm....

Like FG stated previously, if you want to upgrade the system at all get the 4700.

Nuff said.
    Last edited by rik; December 5th, 2004 at 21:56 PM.