Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Drive Read/Write Problem

DVD Drive Read/Write Problem

Has anyone ever heard this? I have a Pioneer DVR-108 drive, it writes perfectly fine, and it recongnizes when a disc is inserted and displays the name of the disc in My Computer, however, the computer can't open the disk, you hear the drive begin to spin, it spins for a while and then just stops. When you try to explore the disc you see the file tree, but when you click on any of the folders they are empty.

Any suggestions...Thanks a lot everyone!

Steve

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What type and brand of media are you using ? when did it start doing this ?

The Pioneer DVR-108 drive is suppose to be one of the best, need more info on what your doing...media, software....

edit= what mother board do you have ?
    Last edited by FastGame; December 5th, 2004 at 23:52 PM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Have you tried updating the firmware Stevie? Automatic firmware update is avaialable on the Pioneer website. Also, i take it you have tried different disks, both copied and other types.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Supa's firmware suggestion is good. Check out The Firmware Page site.

Also you might possibly have a conflict with your recording software and the built in XP one.

Open My Computer and right click the relevant drive icon.On the recording tab make sure "enable CD recording on this drive" is unchecked then click Apply.
    Last edited by Reverend; December 5th, 2004 at 22:05 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks for the help guys

I just upgraded my firmware...and it still did not help...the problem began after I upgraded my motherboard and processor, motherboard is elitegroup 865pe-a.

Thanks for the help.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieRay
    I just upgraded my firmware...and it still did not help...the problem began after I upgraded my motherboard and processor, motherboard is elitegroup 865pe-a.

Thanks for the help.
    Did you reformat the hard drive after upgrading your motherboard and processor?

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Did you reformat the hard drive after upgrading your motherboard and processor?
    This here is sound advice. I've had all sorts of chipset issues in the past. Start with a fresh install

Sorry I have been away

Yes, I reformatted my Hard drive after installation...I don't understand why this could be...it writes to disk fine and even displays the proper name of the disc in My Computer...just can not read or explore or run any programs...I am completly at a loss...

By the way I really appreciate all the help on this site...I have always gotten very quick and very reliable responses...you guys are great

Are you closing the disk after writing ? or leaving them open for future writing ? what software are you using ?

I really would like to help but I don't know...someone @cdfreaks has the same problem as you and no one has posted a fix

edit= SR, could you go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer and check under System & Applications, see if the DVD drive is posting errors. If it is right click & choose Properties and post back with what is says.
    Last edited by FastGame; December 10th, 2004 at 05:30 AM.

The problem is with all disks...not just burnt disks...store bought...DVD...CD...Software all of them...I a going to admin. tools now to check

yes there is an error posted "The Driver detected a controller error on \Device\Cdrom0

there were many of these same errors

Ok, since all this started with a MB upgrade....

Make sure your bios is updated, I never update a MB bios unless I see a change log.

Make sure you MB chipset drivers are up to date.

DVD drive should be set to Master, on a separate IDE controller than the HD.

Make sure your IDE cable is firmly seated on both the drive and MB, re seat them.

Are you real sure the IDE cable is good ? are you able to test DVD in another PC ?

I truly believe it's got something to do with the IDE cable or the MB chipset drivers or the drive just went bad.

R U running PQ-DriveImage? The newer version 7.0 can mess with read/writes - disable the PQ service permanently (rather than uninstalling)
    Alternatively uncheck the Enable Digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device under Device Manager, CD-drives, Properties - this can also cause problems.
    good luck