Thread: I think my power supply died

I think my power supply died

Ok my computer have not been working for a couple months now. For some reason my mom now has the sudden urge to fix it( i guess cause her computer is messing up now) I dont know what happened all i know is one day i turned it on and it wouldn't come on. I checked all the cords and everything like that and nothing comes on. Tried it again today and still nothing. I opened the side of it up and looked in and all the cords and everything is connected(not like i know what does what but i didn;t dissconnect anything and there are no cords just hanging around.) So my guess is that the powersupply is dead. If this is the case how much does a new powersupply cost and how much would it be to get it installed. I'm only 17 and know nothing about the inner workings of a computer so i wont be installing anything myself

Dont know if this is any help but i have a compaq persario 6000. It has 2 drives 1 cdrw and 1 dvd drive and it has a disk drive.
    Last edited by phillyrider807; December 6th, 2004 at 15:43 PM.

When you try to start the computer do you hear beeps? If so describe the beep combination.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    When you try to start the computer do you hear beeps? If so describe the beep combination.
    No I hear nothing. When i press the button abostlutely nothing happens.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    On the back of PC where the cord plugs in did you flick the switch back & forth a few times ? you sure (I know sounds stupid but...) that it's plugged into a socket that works ? or if using surge protector is it good, sorry I'm an electrician and have seen weird things....

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    On the back of PC where the cord plugs in did you flick the switch back & forth a few times ? you sure (I know sounds stupid but...) that it's plugged into a socket that works ? or if using surge protector is it good, sorry I'm an electrician and have seen weird things....
    There is no on/off switch on my computer. And yea i'm sure the outlet works my lamp is pluged into it right now.

Make two checks before buying a new power supply (PS). Plug something into the wall socket to make sure you are getting power. If you are using a power strip, bypass it to make sure it is not the problem. Also use another power cord to the computer. These checks will eliminate the possibility of buying a PS that you don't need. Here is a good troubleshooting flow chart.

Here is a tutorial for the actual replacement of the PS. LINK

There are two ways to buy a new power supply. One is to buy a new case that includes the PS. Usually these power supplies are of questionable quality. If you decide to go this route, choose one that has a power supply with a min rating of 450 watts. You will have to change over the motherboard to the new case. It is an easy job. Figure it will take a couple hours assuming it is the first time you have done this job. The only tricky part of this task is connecting the case front panel leads to the motherboard. You should draw a diagram of the connections before unplugging them. There are many tutorials on the internet for replacing motherboard. A simple goggle search will find one.

The other method is to buy a separate PS. Look for rating specs that indicate higher quality. High quality power supplies start at about $50 and can run over $100. I know that other TZ members have preferences in power supplies. They will probably give you recommendations over the next couple days. In the meantime try here. LINK
    Last edited by efc; December 6th, 2004 at 20:24 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Ok, on the back of PC you should see a little red thing under the plug ?? unplug the power and stick a small screw driver in the slot of the red (might be black) thing and push in & see if you feel a click. Plug back in and see if it works.

If it doesn't get a power supply as efc suggest, take PC in to replace or come back here and we'll guide you through it, or can do it on IM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Ok, on the back of PC you should see a little red thing under the plug ?? unplug the power and stick a small screw driver in the slot of the red (might be black) thing and push in & see if you feel a click. Plug back in and see if it works.

If it doesn't get a power supply as efc suggest, take PC in to replace or come back here and we'll guide you through it, or can do it on IM.
    Ok was the red thing you talking about have numbers on it?? i think it detrmines how much volts or something like that. There was a red button type thing that i could push left and right and the numbers on it were 115 and 230. Anyway i pushed it in and pluged it back up but still nothing. So i guess it is the power supply right? Hopefully we can take it to the shop today.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    seems like that. and to replace a PSU is a very simple procedure that you could manage by yourself and you got us to help you out for free.