Thread: multiple IPs to one Server for multiple websites

multiple IPs to one Server for multiple websites

Hello all. i apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, please move if needed.. i figured this is more of an administrative question, than related to Server 2003.

I am/will be setting up a new webserver here at work. we have two websites we need hosted. i also need an FTP site for multiple clients to log in and upload files to me (that i later do other things with). those FTP folders need to be independant for each client.

in some research i did, i found that you can have multiple websites running from one IIS computer by having those different sites assigned to different IP addressses (assuming those IP addys are going to that same server).

my question is this... how does one make more than one IP go to one computer? i'm still a youngen and learning this stuff.. but i have never heard of more than one IP going to one box. also, these multiple IPs... are then LAN or WAN IPs?

i apoligize if i am not using the correct terminolgy or whatnot... like i said i'm still tryin to figure this stuff out. thank you in advance.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Try these:
    (via google:"adding additional IP addresses windows 2003")

Adding Web Sites to Your Server
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/ WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/wsa_hmws_addsites.asp

Configuring multihomed servers
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...medServers.asp

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

You can use several cards in one PC no probs - that is multi-homed. You can also assign more than 1 IP to a card , I'm not sure if that counts as multi-homed? Multi FTP with IIS - that may be more of a problem, especially if you need to upload seperate ppl at seperate parts of the server. Offering FTP to the WAN side is a little dodgy if uploads are allowed as passwords travel plaintext.

yea... i dont really like the idea in a security sense.. but thats the decision that has been made... and i cant control it.

thanks for your help.

In the advanced properties of TcIP settings you can add multiple IPs to one network card.