Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus A7N8x-Deluxe question w/ SATA

Asus A7N8x-Deluxe question w/ SATA

I just recently got a new cpu and some other parts including a SATA 40gb WD Hard Drive. I hooked everything up last night and ran into a few problems but corrected them. Now when I tried to install Windows XP professional this morning, I put in the CD it goes past the boot screen and comes up with the screen that tells me to press any key to boot from cd. Although, when I press a key nothing happens, and then after 3 mins it says "Window's is inspecting your hardware configiration blah blah and then after a minute that disappears and nothing happens.........It just sits there and does nothing.....Anything I need to do?

I've did the whole changing my FSB jumper to my new setting for my new cpu and I've enabled the SATA jumper so what could be causing this?

Thanks
    -bryan

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Did you get to the point of the install where it says hit F6 to install third party SCSI drivers ? You need to insert the floppy and install the SATA drivers.

Well I cannot even get into that point of the install.....I've narrowed it down to a bad data cable or a bad drive....I unplugged the sata hd and it went into windows xp installation just fine.....hmm

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you installed the 1008 firmware it updates the sata driver and Updates FSB400 romsip table... I have the option to boot to sata/scsi device. Then there is the 1008d that updates the MOBO to support the new AMD Sempron CPU's.
    Now when you say you got a new SATA drive. Are you trying to install XP to the new drive or is it not recognizing it when and if it does boot up.
    But take FG's advice when it first boots up and one of the first blue install screens is what he's talking about where you press F6 and install the sata driver. but check the bios and see if you have the option to boot to sata first.
    Fastgame gave me my A7n8x and helped me thru a few snags with that board. Now that I got it dialed in its been humming along for over a year and a half. So if you need help let us know.

Yep like phish said the F6 should be one of the first things you see. Try another SATA port on the MB and make sure you see the drive in the bios.

I seems at times SATA is a pain to get going on the Nforce2 from reading post at HW forums. Hang in there, I think the ASUS A7N8x & Abit NF7-S are two of the finest AMD boards going even by todays standards

Ok well I just built myself a new computer and switched my old motherboard to this new computer. I then hooked everything up and went into the BIOS. When I went to where it lists my drives primary and secondary are blank and then i have my two cd-rom drives under that. I did not see any option to enable onboard SATA in my bios. I did however fix the jumper to enable SATA drives. I plugged my SATA HD into the PRI_SATA1 next to SEC_SATA plug and thats when my problem started.

Whenever I boot up my computer it has the ASUS logo screen then the next screen says something about pressings Ctrl + S or F4 to setup SATA or RAID drives, I've went into both of those options and I could not create a RAID or when I hit F4 it ran a test

I currently have a WD 40gb HD that I am trying to freshly install Windows XP on. That will be my only hard drive to use for my computer. Is there something I'm missing?

I can NOT get into the Windows XP installation when I boot up my computer. It goes very slow like I mentioned and the weird thing is, is that if I unplug my SATA drive it goes into the windows xp setup just fine......Do I need to update something like you guys mentioned?

Here's my mb/cpu/hd setup
    MB: ASUS A7N8x-Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Barton 3200+
    HD: 1 WD 7200rpm 40gb SATA Hard Drive
    Last edited by blueman04; December 11th, 2004 at 20:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    have you installed the 1008 firmware it updates the sata driver and Updates FSB400 romsip table... I have the option to boot to sata/scsi device.
    Did you try this.

OK...I went with 1008.bin file and it WORKED!!!! Now it's saying that it didn't find a hard drive...but I need to install the 3rd party drivers

Now I went to ASUS's site since WD didnt have any SATA drivers for just a regular MB, so I download the SATA pack from ASUS, I read a forum topic on here that tells what files to copy to disk and I found all but one. Should I proceed with installation or wait?
    Last edited by blueman04; December 11th, 2004 at 22:34 PM.

did your sata drive come with a floppy or cd. Mine came with a cd that had the floppy image on it. then I did what FG mentioned and worked like a charm

I got everything fixed.....it turns out my si3112r.sys file was hidden under windows and thats why my xp installation couldn't find it... WOOHOO Me happy now

THANK YOU ALL!!!! You saved me a lot of pain, rma upset, money, and time...Thanks!!

hmmm nevermind --- back to that problem...windows installation cant find the sr3112r.sys but i have it on the floppy in my drive...any help?
    Last edited by blueman04; December 12th, 2004 at 00:48 AM.

Is this floppy one you made or the one that came with MB ?

I made it from the silicon image zip file i downloaded from asus website onto my parent's win 98 laptop. I did the whole show the hidden files so I could see that sr3112r.sys file......It loaded it when it asked for the drivers and copied them and i formatted the sata drive.....but then when it said it was copying windows setup files it came up with the can't find the sr3112r.sys file.....I'm stumped...

i downloaded that file.....but could there be something I have to edit in the Txtsetup file so it directs xp to the sys file?
    Last edited by blueman04; December 12th, 2004 at 04:08 AM.

When you extracted the drivers you should have copied these files over to the floppy disk.

readme.txt
    Si3112r.inf
    Si3112r.mpd
    Si3112r.sys
    SIISUPP.VXD
    SIWinAcc.sys
    TxtSetup.oem

Is that whats on the floppy ?

When you extracted the drivers you should have copied these files over to the floppy disk.
    Yes correct those are the files on there.....is there something with that txt file though? I just extracted them to a floppy and then tried to go back to my computer and hit enter to retry to find the driver but nothin still.
    Last edited by blueman04; December 12th, 2004 at 04:35 AM.

nope not that i know of. I say try it again and in the mean time I'll install a floppy drive on my PC so I can look inside my ASUS SATA floppy, then I'll know what files for sure.