Thread: Spyware on My Machine? So What? (article)

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

Spyware on My Machine? So What? (article)

Here is some real thought provoking information for you.

quote:
    Not all web surfers think spyware is a problem. Some say the snoopy software is a fair trade-off for free applications, even with the intrusion into their computers and lives.

"Typically the assumption has been that spyware sneaks onto computers, or users are unaware of what they have agreed to install," said Gregg Mastoras, a senior security analyst at antivirus vendor Sophos. "But some people actually do knowingly install adware because they want to use a particular application that comes bundled with it. Some just aren't particularly concerned by adware's presence on their computers."

IMesh, maker of a popular file-sharing application, recently began bundling an application called Marketscore. Some would view Marketscore as a privacy nightmare: The program routes all of a user's web traffic through Marketscore's own servers, where it is then analyzed to "create research reports on internet trends and e-commerce activities," according to Marketscore.

Even data entered on secure websites -- such as passwords, credit card numbers and bank account numbers, information that is supposed to be viewable only by the sender and the intended recipient -- is accessible to Marketscore, since the company has developed a method that allows it to view encrypted information.

But some users of iMesh didn't seem to be troubled by the actions of Marketscore.

Read the full story here
    Source - wired.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Unbelievable...

Bronze Member
    I read that article a while ago, very good one!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I dont think these people acutually realise the implications of identity theft and internet fraud... let them be the victim of loosing all money and belonging, and see their attitude! ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I agree with as you say cash... I suppose they must learn from experience. (I rather learn from other people's experience )

-adiemus

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I think it's a lack of education and knowledge about what these applications actually do.

Yep, I use to be like that... really dumb with like spyware, etc. Actually, I never understood what the big deal was... but then I realised what they were REALLY after... eg, your credit card.

-adiemus