Thread: Somewhat Different Networking Question

Somewhat Different Networking Question

I have 5 machines sharing a 5M/800k internet connection through a D-Link DI-604 router/gateway. All systems are running XP with SP2 and have 100 Mbit network capability with static IP addresses.

I frequently transfer data (anywhere from a few 100 Meg to several Gig) between two of the machines.

One system functions as both a LAN server (mostly other users listening to MP3's or watching avi or mpg files) and file/P2P server out to the internet. All systems need to be able to access those network shares.

When transferring data between the two systems, the server connection to the internet just about dies. I tried using the MS QOS scheduler, but it seems to make little difference.

I was wondering if it's possible to use a second NIC in each of those two machines to allow the transfer between them, effectively isolating that traffic. I am guessing that this would cut network congestion on the current route.

Any suggestions or a link to a How-To or FAQ would be greatly appreciated.

I can even live with knowing that I'm daft because the solution I envision is unworkable.

Thanks
    Last edited by SomeCanuckDude; December 14th, 2004 at 01:40 AM.

If you can get a crossover network cable to go between these 2 PCs and then tweak the 'interface metric' of all the PCs on the LAN this may sort out the situation.

The interface metric basically tells Windows which is the shortest route to an IP address so by altering this (and not leaving it in automatic mode) the 2 PCs should be able to have their own separate link.

All you have to do is:
    -go into the properties of each network card
    -go into properties of TCP/IP for that card
    -click the advanced button and you should then see the metric settings.
    -make sure that the automatic is turned off (I don't trust Windows) and put a '1' for the interface metric for the PCs that will be specifically sharing. For all other connections you can make the interface metric a 2 or hopefully even leave it as a 1 (just not automatic). Increase the number for slower links between PCs.

The reason I don't trust Windows' automatic mode - it proved to me that it thought 2 links of 22Mbps was quicker than one link of 100Mbps. How stupid is that?!?!
    Last edited by Bibby Noblett; December 14th, 2004 at 06:49 AM.

Thank you very much.

I gather that I should use IP addresses for the second NIC's that are outside the range of what is currently on the LAN?

i.e.:
    current LAN IP addresses 192.168.0.100 , 101 , 102 etc.

second NIC IP's addresses 192.168.1.100 , 101

Quote Originally Posted by Bibby Noblett
    The reason I don't trust Windows' automatic mode - it proved to me that it thought 2 links of 22Mbps was quicker than one link of 100Mbps. How stupid is that?!?!
    That is daft! Maybe instead of adding the speeds Windows multipled them and concluded that the result (484) was a Firewire connection.
    Last edited by SomeCanuckDude; December 14th, 2004 at 07:43 AM.

It may be that your Lan server is busy transferring files not serving the net rather than a link speed problem and increasing your RAM or hard disk access speed (SCSI) may be the way to go. Your router is a switch which theoretically isolates IP to IP data streams already.

Thanks for the suggestions, Curio, but the problem seems to be the bottleneck between the server and switch.

A quick test seems to show that modifying the metric on separate NICs is a workable solution, I still have to tweak the settings a bit though.

The server has an Barton 2500+ with 1G of RAM (max of 3G) so that option can be looked at.

SCSI isn't an option as I am not laying out the kind of cash required to replace almost 1 Tbyte of IDE drives.

Santa is out too. I've been good this year, but not that good!
    Last edited by SomeCanuckDude; December 14th, 2004 at 15:44 PM.

This is still giving me a few problems.

I set the second pair of NIC's up using 192.168.1.11x (basically 10 higher than the setting on the original NIC) and subnet of 255.255.255.0. I've used no Gateway or DNS settings. The metric on the second NIC's are set to 1 and the original set to 2. I now have full access to the internet on both machines.

I can start a transfer of data between the two systems and it is using the crossover cable instead of going through the router, but after a short period of time I lose access to the network shares on all machines.

Internet connectivity is not affected.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by SomeCanuckDude; December 17th, 2004 at 20:37 PM.

You lose sight of the network shares?!?! How odd!!

Can you ping the computers with the 192.168.1.xxx address? Is it just the shares that have dropped?