Thread: Blue screen of death! PLEASE help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Blue screen of death! PLEASE help!

This is the second hard drive this has happened to me on. Until now i've just been buying new hard drives, but as this is getting quite expensive and i have 8 hard drives laying around i need some help now. I get a blue screen when I load up windows, Im not sure exactly what it said but it was a STOP (xxx, xxx, xxx) screen. So I try to just reformat instead. WHen i put in my windows disk, it goes up and loads all files needed for setup, then when it should be switching over tot he windows type screen to finish my setup it gives me a blue screen that says this.

STOP: 0x0000007e (0XC0000005, 0XF853C0BF, XFB94BF0C)

PCI.SYS - ADDRESS FG53C0BF BASE AT F8535000, DATESTAMP 3B7D855C

Any suggestions? If it matters I just had this hard drive pulled out of a computer with an AMD 64 processor and AGP motherboard.

Used all the same other parts from that computer and switched out the motherboard to a PCI-Express motherboard and a Intel p4 processor. The only thing I can maybe think of is that my copy of windows which is windows RC1 (an old demo copy because i only have an upgrade version not a full version) doesnt have pci-e capability. but it still happened in the other computer too, except i think it said system_thread_not_handled or somethin glike that. I really need to fix this problem, the pci.sys problem though. My computer has been down for far too long (over a month) any suggestions before i buy yet another hard drive and throw this one to my junk pile?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    How long do the drives last before they go bad? Could be the motherboard that's damaging them.

It could be

I guess thats possible, they last about a month or two. This one im currently using with the blue screen was in the last computer thats gone through 3 hard drives so far before the new one. SO i guess that is a possibility, as I had a TON of other problems besides this one with that motherboard as well.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    are you overclocking at all?

overclocking the bus willl overclock the other perferrals and your hard drive will get damaged.

just a thought
    ------------------------------------------------------------

not overclocking

Yeah, im not much of an overclocker but i think my other processor/motherboard came overclocked, because it said something like Overclock FReq when the comp loaded up on the first bios type screen 200mhz or something. Now that im done with that computer, we'll see how it goes. I just bought a new hard drive. hopefully trouble free

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Here is also a good page to use when trouble shooting Windows Stop errors: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

I had this problem recently. Windows doesn't like it when you change your motherboard. Infact, it wont even let you boot. It has to do with the windows product activation. Windows will let you add 6 new device all at the same time but if you add more, or you change your motherboard it will either ask you to reactivate (if you add new parts) or it will give you the blue screen of death if you change your motherboard. The only way to fix it is to change back to the old mobo or reinstall and reactivate. This is why I hate windows. I orginally thought my problem was a pci-e motherboard problem but it was that it was an entirely new motherboard.
    Last edited by beelzebub; January 19th, 2005 at 21:59 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Initially I didnt have much to offer except "Are you bill gates, having trouble @ CES demostration?"

Seriously now... Do you recall what the other stop codes were or were they all concerning PCI.SYS ?? If its all PCI.SYS, then there must be a conflict with the PCI chipset driver and one of the drivers for a PCI device, such as Modem, LAN, Soundcard, Firewire, USB, or SATA/IDE raid card... do you have any of these installed?? Try removing all hardware except on-board stuff and HD, then try re-formatting and installing windows...

The fact u are using old windows XP in a PCI-e board may cause a problem... can you try and get a proper version of XP??

Also, when you get XP to install, you should install SP2, and also the motherboard chipset drivers and utilities.. they update a lot of low-level hardware drivers

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---