Thread: McAfee stinger

Titanium Member

McAfee stinger

It's free!

McAfee AVERT Stinger
    Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.
    Scans for 47 viruses, trojans, and variants - http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    This has been a good tool and has helped in many situations over the last year or so...They have others also of course Symantec has some as well.

Avast also do one 'aswclnr.exe' and Kaspersky started the trend way back with 'clrav.com' both are useful, in my experience stinger isn't very good.

Titanium Member
    They are all as good as the virus database they use. McAfee is one of the top 5 leading AV's on the market right now - no reason Stinger should be second rate.

Platinum+ Member
    My cable ISP says they will provide a mcafee antivirus suite worth Rs.699 (1 USD = 45.12 INR).
    Guess what they gave me. Suprise, suprise - Mcafee stinger

I have identified virii on pcs and Stinger though including them in it's database has failed to remove them and on one occasion even to identify the virus, that is why I say it isn't very good. If you had had the same experience you would have reached the same conclusion.

So Stinger is good for which viruses? B/c I really dont understand how its any different than a a normal antivirus besides that its smaller in size and scans only a limited amount.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Stinger is an app that targets SPECIFIC virii. Because it only scans for a small number of virii, it scans hard drives quicker meaning tech support staff can move on to other things...ie the next PC in the job queue during a huge virus outbreak.

I wouldn't recommend it as an AntiVirus replacement.

Not to start a flame war, but IMHO antivirus software is a very personal, past experience type of thing. I personally have had less than stellar results using McAfee stinger, for that matter any McAfee product. I could also say the same about Norton products, but that has just been my experience. I would also venture to say that just because they might be bigger and market better than the little guys does not mean they are better "Caveat Emptor".

Badger

P.S. I would also say that there are many factors that might make one of the above mentioned products the absolute best choice. Also as a quick and dirty first defense I would still probably use stinger for a quick check.

You want to compare AV products try http://www.av-test.org/ you will see some interesting results. Spend a little time searching out the tests and trying to understand them properly, for instance do I care if Norton AV fails to detect Unix virii - no, I wouldn't be running it on Unix. Do I care if using an exe-packer defeats the AV - YES you're damn skippy I do. Time from discovery to signature release is another good comparison - quicker the better.