Thread: Help Upgrading My PC

Help Upgrading My PC

Hey guys, well i've read a couple of Threads and i was wondering if you could help me out upgrading my pc. I use it mainly for digital imaging/video and gaming, but... as you may see ain't the best choice for this.

Here is my actual configuration.

MB: Biostar U8668 Grand
    Chipset: VIA P4M266A
    P4 2.4mhz
    256Mb pc133
    HDD: 32Gb
    and a ati 7000 64Mb

what would you guys recomend?

Triple Platinum Member
    512 mb ram cud be an option...fg will be able to tell you more..

I'm thinking about getting a couple of 512 ddr Kingstone pc, but what about the video card? My MB suports only 4x, and i read a thread where it said that it really doesn't make a diference between a 4x and 8x, so which card would you recomend?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Doesn't matter about AGP 4X, AGP 8X will work in your board and there's very little performance difference between the two.

It would be easier to answer your question if you give us a budget you want to stay within. Then we could suggest the best possible hardware for the money. Some guys here come up with some pretty dam powerful PC's for cheap, sometimes cheaper than upgrading

About $400 USD, well, 300-400 more less

For now I would get 1gig of PC 3200 ram and a larger HD for second drive storage of digital imaging/video. Then think real hard on how serious you'll be in the gaming area ? that will cost the most. If your not going to game much then there's no reason to spend a bunch on GFX card.

Your MB only supports PC2100 but PC 3200 will run at PC 2100 speed and when you upgrade again the PC 3200 will come in handy. I don't know where you get parts in Mexico but look for Kingston, Crucial, PQI, Patriot brands of ram. They work good and usually sell at a lower price than high end ram.

As for the AGP 4X, your board is 4X AGP 2.0 compliant AGP 8X is AGP 3.0 compliant Nvidia AGP 8X cards are both AGP 2.0-3.0 compliant so they would work in your MB. I read somewhere that ATI 8X cards are only AGP 3.0 compliant and aren't backward compatible ??? I need to check more on that.
    Last edited by FastGame; December 16th, 2004 at 08:07 AM.

Thnx for the tips, i can easily get the parts in the USA since i live near the border, anyway buying the parts in Mexico, ain't hard, but way to expensive. Getting the ram was my main objective, since i use it a lot in the design programs, but since sometimes i do some 3D rendering, it may help me alot.

So, if i buy an 8x AGP 3.0, wont run on my MB??? Dind't knew that :S which of the Nvidia cards would you recomend?. Now about gaming, I ain't a hardcore gamer, but i do play a lot, and get really frustated when i get such a lag on my graphivs, so chich Nvidia card would you recomend?

Thnx For the Help

Hey, Fastgame. This might be a great way to take the first step. Price good through 12/31/04.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...RCCODE=WEM807L
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Wow... Seems like it might be cheaper to buy that and use some of my actual pc parts

Quote Originally Posted by DjHampton
    Wow... Seems like it might be cheaper to buy that and use some of my actual pc parts
    yeah go check out the bare bones at Tiger, the only thing bad about that system is the video card is not very good for games.

Slap this card in http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pe=Refurbished and be a happy camper.

Or a budget card that still works great http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pe=Refurbished

You could upgrade your PC with one of the two video cards above, I've bought refubs at newegg and never had a problem.

Also add

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-107&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...141-164&DEPA=0

Your current CPU and MB would be your bottle neck but it would still work fine.

hey hey i would not worry about a new video card. I am currently using the on-board video provided by my Dell 2350 system. It has 64 mb of shared ram so it makes my system run slower than it should. But, anyway I LAN partly alot and this is still wotking for me. I would highly suggest getting 1 gig of PC3200 Ram kingston makes excellent RAM for cheep. Because with more RAM there will be much less lag. Almost none with 1 gig. Also get a much larger hard drive 250 gigs is tempting to suggest but really a 200 gig or 160 gig is good enough. Then with the extra 170 or so get a kick ass sound card if you dont have one.

Another option would to be by 512 mb of PC3200 ram or even a gig and save up for a geforce 6800 ultra video card. Or if you want a kick ass card now get no ram and go for a geforce 6800 GT video card