Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card Problems

Exclamation Graphics Card Problems

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Graphics card and am using my TV as a monitor. I used to be able to make 3D games and annimations work.Eg The Sims 2. Then I installed a second hard drive and more ram and all of a sudden games like the sims 2 don't want to work.

I ran DXdiag and in the display tab, Under notes it says
    "No problems found.
    To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
    Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer."
    Also the Directdraw accelleration, Direct 3D Accelleration and AGP Texture Accelleration buttons are not useable.

I have tried the ATI website but they are useless.
    Please help.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    un-install your drivers and run Driver Cleaner then update to the latest Cat drivers that are posted here http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...53&postcount=1

Reinstall Diirect X 9.0c

I'm going to remove your other post, you'll get more attention here.

welcome to TZ

Thanks for the quick reply. sorry I posted twice.
    If I use Driver cleaner, When I get rid of the existing drivers and reboot, will I still be able to use the TV as a monitor or will I need to borrow a monitor whilst I fix this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba_Johnson
    will I still be able to use the TV as a monitor
    that's a good question I don't know the answer because I've never used a Tv and don't know if XP driver has TV out. To be on the safe side I'd say barrow a monitor.

Try installing Direct X first and see if that helps.

Edit= when you boot your PC do you see a boot screen ? drivers aren't loaded at that time so maybe it'll work with TV ???
    Last edited by FastGame; December 20th, 2004 at 16:26 PM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    You should be able to use the TV regardless of the drivers installed since my TV and 9600 XT work right from the boot screen.

Give FG's 2nd post a try and let us know the results.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Not sure if this is trivial, but he should also check to ensure the TV plug is connected to the right hole in the Vid card as well on the TV... or connected at all for that matter... since he would have had to open up the case to insert new HD

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I think that might be given cash since it seems the problem is only with
    3D games and annimations
    Correct Bubba?

thanks for the replies, this is bubba's wife, so forgive me if i sound a bit off with the computer stuff...

it did still work through the tv...but now - after doing the driver cleaner thing, the pc has reverted to 32 bit colour and the driver's wont install. when he runs the catalyst package it all says it installs ok...but then you reboot and it stuffs up. it does the black windows xp loading screen and then a blue sceen with lines all over the place comes up...you can sort of read "windows is shutting down"..then the computer reboots again and takes you to the scandisk blue screen. only way to stop it is to restart with last known good config. when you do finally get to the desktop, an error message comes up saying that the ATI driver isnt working or isnt there and that control panel will now shut down. he just cant get these drivers to work. everything was fine before he installed the new hard-drive..

anyways...any clues about what to do next?

hey...update from the wife here...i have managed to get the graphics card working by installing an old driver (CATALYST 3.10 Single Bundle).

everything is working as it should....except for the AGP texture acceleration. the dxdiag has blocked the enable/disable button and when i run a game it doesnt start up and i get an error msg saying the agp adaptor is...not right.

any suggestions?

Then I installed a second hard drive and more ram and all of a sudden games like the sims 2 don't want to work
    When these things were installed did any settings get changed in the mother board bios ?

Did you try un-hooking the new hard drive and or ram that was installed to see if everything works again.

How much ram was installed ?

What size power supply does PC have ?

Any bios settings messed with (AGP aperture size) ?

Is Direct X installed ?

When I installed the hard drive and the ram, I don't remember changing anything in the bios.

I haven't tried unhooking the new hard drive and ram because everything worked fine for a few days with them hooked up.

I had 256mb DDR ram, and installed another 512mb DDR ram.

I'm not sure what size power supply I have.

I don't know if anything has messed with AGP Apeture size, Although I did just check to see what size it was set to and it was set at 64mb. Is this setting right?

Oh yeah... DirectX is well and truly installed.

I don't know if anything has messed with AGP Apeture size, Although I did just check to see what size it was set to and it was set at 64mb. Is this setting right?
    Well 64mb usually is ok ??? but that and anything lower have been known to disable AGP acceleration. Try 128mb

Also un hook the power off the extra HD (for a test), maybe your power supply is weak and can't handle the extra hardware.

I changed the AGP appeture size to 128mb and restarted. Didn't help.
    I unhooked the 2nd hard drive for a test. Unfortunately still the same result.
    Any Ideas?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Would it be possible to install a blank HD, and reinstall windows. Then try installing the Catalyst Drivers... perhaps this would verify if the card works 100% rather than being a software issue?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

See what happens if you download the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI site and install them over the top. They should upgrade just fine.