Thread: nice little hardware problem

nice little hardware problem

sorry, i'm an idiot, accidentally posted this question in the microsoft windows section....some moderator feel free to delete that post.

So one day I decide I want another partition on my drive for another OS, so I use parition magic 8, and ever since then my computer craps out. Long story short, I know it is either the ram, cpu or mobo. It isn't my modem or any of the drives. What happens is, the computer will run fine when my bios is set to failsafe defaults. But, when I have it set to optimized defaults, where it used to run at, the computer always freezes several minutes into powering it up. Doesn't matter whether I'm logged in, reinstalling, or on a live Linux cd. It even froze when I was running the microsoft memory test. I'm in the middle of running memtest86 right now, but the way my pc has been acting I don't think its the memory. Any ideas? Sadly I have no extra parts, otherwise I would try using them.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twentytwo
    accidentally posted this question in the microsoft windows section....some moderator feel free to delete that post.
    Fixed

Could you post your system spec's, I think its your ram or CPU but.....

Thanks

nVidia nForce2 mobo
    athlon xp 2100+ cpu
    radeon 9500 pro
    512mb ddr333

Since last I posted, memtest86 went through, and only had errors on test 7. Not that I understand what it means, but it leads me to think I should get some more ram. It still could be the cpu though, I've had the machine for almost 2 years now, and at one point had a heating problem because my heatsink was clogged with dust. Any thoughts? Or an explanation of what test 7 on memtest86 is?

Thanks.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twentytwo
    nVidia nForce2 mobo
    athlon xp 2100+ cpu
    radeon 9500 pro
    512mb ddr333

Since last I posted, memtest86 went through, and only had errors on test 7. Not that I understand what it means, but it leads me to think I should get some more ram. It still could be the cpu though, I've had the machine for almost 2 years now, and at one point had a heating problem because my heatsink was clogged with dust. Any thoughts? Or an explanation of what test 7 on memtest86 is?

Thanks.

Try raising memory voltage or change the memory timings.
    If it still comes up with errors you have to replace your memory sticks. Are you overclocking the FSB?

No overclocking here. I generally have everything set to optimized default, which itself changes the memory to 266mhz, so i set it up to 333 when i'm feeling lucky. But lately its just not working, but everything works in failsafe where i believe the memory is at 100 or 133...can't remember.

My computer doesn't like it when I increase anything with my memory...when I do that, on the restart from saving the bios the computer shuts down and starts beeping. Its no pattern that I'm familiar with, neither is it the loud beeping i get when i turn on my computer and no memory is installed. Its a softer two beeps that continues until i unplug or use the switch on the power supply.

Well, it seems to work fine whenever I just have the memory running slower...its a pain, but it'll do until I can trade ram with someone and see what happens.

Nforce2 is picky on ram, what brand of ram do you have ?

Since you have PC 2700 it isn't worth overclocking because your not going to get close to standard PC 3200 anyway, in most cases..

your ram still should run @166fsb Do you have 2x256 or 1x512 ? try diffirent slots and run the ram @SPD

I don't really have a brand of ram...at the time I bought the cheapest ram I could find, a decision I now regret. I have 1 x 512 stick. I have tried putting the ram in a different slot, however doing so the computer does not believe that I have ram installed at all. Is there a way around this or a limitation of my system? The ram used to run @spd, but now when I try that the system dies.

A thought on the sound that my computer makes when it dies: Thinking about it it seems that the sound of the beeps is just a softer version of the beeps that the computer makes if I turn it on without ram.

I have tried putting the ram in a different slot, however doing so the computer does not believe that I have ram installed at all. Is there a way around this or a limitation of my system?
    A lot of times this is because of the sockets on the MB, some are tight and some aren't. I had a Nforce2 board that had tight sockets and after I used some high grade Kingston Hyper X it stretched the socket and I couldn't use single sided Samsung ram because the PCB (printed circuit board) was thinner and didn't make good contact.

Your ram must have a low layered PCB and isn't making good contact with the socket.

When I buy ram I look for high quality that has the best compatibility with most systems Intel & AMD, that way I can upgrade and save $$$ on ram.

I think phishhead has Crucial PC 2100 running @333fsb on his Nforce2 because its good ram.

Save your money for some good ram, PC 3200 or PC 4000 will last an upgrade or two depending on when & if DDR II & DDR III ever get their act together.....
    Last edited by FastGame; December 23rd, 2004 at 17:01 PM.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I'll just have to suffer through with the crap ram for a few months until I've got my lappy paid off. But you're right though, definitely good quality ram from now on. I think I've learned my lesson. Any other thoughts on this will be welcome, but I think I've got a handle on what to do now.