Thread: Security issues for home user(win2kpro)

Platinum+ Member

Security issues for home user(win2kpro)

Firewall incompatibility queries

I am running Windows 200 Pro and have a Cable connection. I have Zonealarm Free 5.5.062.004 and AVG Free 7.0.298 (which I update everyday).
    1.I've read that Zonealarm has compatibility issues with MSN messenger 6.2 and Yahoo Messenger latest. Is this true? MSN Messenger and Y! Messenger keep signing out automatically and refuse to change the display name and add contacts when Zonealarm is running. I have given both messenger programs full freedom in Zonelalarm settings. Can anyone reccomend a better free firewall?
    2.When I disable zonealarm completely, after a 10-15 mins of internet usage, I get a large message saying 'Iass.exe has failed, system shut down in *60* secs" - It counts down and shuts down the comp. When I disabled zonealarm, AVG detects more than the uusal number of virii. My comp has been infected by worm.Agobot many times. After the infection, my comp is slow, unresponsive and programs hang at random. I plan to reformat my harddisk and load windows xp pro on my comp. Can you tell me how to prevent these probs in the future?

Platinum+ Member
    I tried reducing the overall security settings of zonealarm. That seems to be the only option.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    First option to keep your system running smooth and relatively safe is by making sure your OS is fully patched. Ensure you are running the latest Service Pack w/all subsequent updates. Also if you aren't happy with the protection that ZoneAlarm provides, You might try adding a cable router to your hardware mix. When properly configured that should allow you to be as safe as anything else.