Thread: Gen Hardware Question

Gen Hardware Question

Happy Holidays everybody! Just a quick question. My brother and I play a lot of HL-2 DM and I'm a little miffed that his computer is out-performing mine. I have a faster processor, more RAM, etc. The things I have narrowed down to are as follows:

My game is installed on a SATA hard drive whereas my brother is straight IDE, I doubt this is the problem, but access time I guess is something to consider.

We were both using GeForce 4 Ti 4600s (128MB), but my fan crapped out on that so I bought a GeForce FX 5700 LE (256MB). While this is a lower end 256MB card, it should be better than the GF4Ti4600. Anyways he's getting like 20-30 more FPS than my computer.

Finally I am using a Hitachi LCD whereas my bro has a nice ViewSonic CRT. My LCD has two inputs, the standard VGA and the DVI, which is better for gaming? (I'm using DVI right now) I doubt the monitor would affect the FPS, but it is another factor you guys should know about.

Thanks for your help!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrave50
    I doubt the monitor would affect the FPS,
    well think again, if both systems were exact except for monitors the CRT is going to beat the LCD in certain situations....V-sync

Ok your running an LCD with DVI, right ? now if you use DVI then your LCD is set at 60hz refresh. Now if you have v-sync enabled the game will cap at 60fps. As far as I know DVI limits refresh to 60hz, you'd need to use VGA out to get an option for another refresh rate.

Ok now your brother has a nice CRT, right ? well your brother prolly has the refresh rate set higher than 60hz so it doesn't bug his eye's. I don't know what your brother's settings are but I'd guess the ViewSonic set at 85hz refresh. Now if he has v-sync enabled then he could game at 85fps so if both of you are using v-sync the CRT wins

Of coarse you could disable v-sync and shoot for the moon in FPS both LCD & CRT but the CRT is going to win in another area if you do so.....graphic tearing. Do to the fact you can run CRT at higher refresh it has a higher level of FPS before you get tearing.

I think your brother might know a trick or two he's not telling ya...

Happy Holiday

edit-LOL I must of had racing on the brain spelling change CART to CRT
    Last edited by FastGame; December 24th, 2004 at 04:59 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I totally agree with FastGame. The CRT will beat the LCD at gaming hands down, every time.

Hey guys thanks for the help. I knew upon buying the LCD that it wasn't as good for games, but living in a college dorm you need the space. I guess I wasn't aware that it made THAT big a difference. I'll try your guys suggestions. Thanks again.