Thread: Internet Connection Sharing

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar

Internet Connection Sharing

I finally bought the 45 metres of CAT5 cable I needed to network my 2 PCs.
    One is a PIII 800, the other, an Athlon XP 1800. They are connected to a 5-Port (to allow for network expandability) 10/100 Switching Hub (using the standard star topology). Both PCs have a modem and are connected to the same phone line.

The network was too easy to setup using the XP Home Networking Wizard and it works great! However, I have some problems/queries explained in the following scenarios.

(This is kind of hard to explain so bare with me. )

Using the ICS settings I currently have, PIII = Host, Athlon = Client:

Scenario 1
    If PIII is ON and Athlon is OFF. PIII connects to the Internet through its modem.

Scenario 2
    If PIII is ON and Athlon is ON. PIII connects to the Internet through its modem. Athlon connects to the Internet through PIIIs modem via the network (Internet Connection Sharing)

Scenario 3
    If PIII is OFF and Athlon is ON. Athlon cannot connect to the Internet through PIIIs modem, but the user can manually dial Athlon's modem.

Problem 1: In Scenario 3, can Athlon be setup to automatically dial it own connection whenever the network connection is not present?

Problem 2: (the tricky bit) In Scenario 3, if Athlon has connected to the Internet using its own modem, and then PIII is switched ON, can PIII be setup to share Athlons connection.

In other words, can the roles of Host and Client be swapped? Or further still can both PC have the ability to choose to be a Host or Client depending on which PC dials the Internet connection?

Ahhhh *Deep Breath*

Sure, I could just remove the modem from Athlon and just use the modem in PIII but this would mean that PIII would always have to be ON before Athlon could connect.
    A tad annoying when the computers are situated about 40 metres apart!

If there is a solution to this, or if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them, no matter how big or small!

One last (slightly technical) thing. With XP's build in ICS, the Host PC must have the IP Address 192.168.0.1. Since IPs must be unique, there can only be one 192.168.0.1 and thus only one Host. If anyone knows of a workaround or any other programs which do the job, please post.

Thanks.

Set up a second network using the Athlon as the host and then bridge between the two networks on each PC....

Can you elaborate on that a little further. Sounds like some good advice.

Network Bridge will be set up to connect two local networks. Check out the link and get the information for setting one up but first make a second LAN on your Athlon and call it say "Athlon LAN" using the Network Wizard. Make a floppy for this LAN, it will ask if you wish to do so during the set up. Now install the Athlon LAN (host) on the PIII (client). Now you can set up the Network Bridge to link the two LANs.........

Thanks

Looks like you hit the nail on the head!

That appears to be the solution, however it looks like I'd have to buy another pair of NICs - not to mention the cable. Unfortunatly, because of the distance, it's just not feasible.

If there was a way to create another LAN using the existing hardware then it wouldn't be a problem!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    WHY NOT LEAVE YOUR SETUP AS IT IS, and try WOL or wake on LAN. ANy time your athlon attempts to gain access to the net, AFAIK, WOL would kick in on the request and power on the machine????
    I am not 100% sure about this, and I know your MOBO has to support it, and you can configure it with your bios...
    MAybe it will work, maybe I am way off base.
    BB
    http://www.intel.com/network/connect...ake_on_lan.htm

ONE last note your NIC has to support WOL as well.
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; July 14th, 2002 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks BB. I have WOL on the PIII (host) already, so I guess this is the best solution for my problem!

My ASUS MoBo and NIC both support it!