Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible dead mobo

Possible dead mobo

Hey peeps. This one will keep you guessing for while... Before I brief you, here is my hardware:

mobo: asus a7v8x
    cpu: amd athlon xp 2000
    psu: antec 400W
    gpu: geforce4 mx 400
    ram: pc2700 512mb
    HD: WD WD400

Here is the rundown: I assemble this pc and successfully install xp pro on it. Installation goes flawless. No probs whatsoever. I shut down the pc and move it to another location in the house where there's an internet connection. I get on the internet with the new pc to continue with updates, drivers, etc. At one point, it prompted for a reboot. The pc shuts down and never comes back up. Upon hitting the power button to turn it back on, it gives every appearance of being "on" except no image on the monitor. The hard drive light flashes a few times then goes out. The cpu fan is on, the psu fan is on, the mobo light is on, except nothing on the monitor. The monitor light alternates between green and amber.

Here is the troubleshooting i've done thus far, all of which has resulted in not resolving the problem: Swapped out psu for a new one (antec) and no result. Tried different video card with no result. Disconnected the cr-rom, removed nic, and rebooted and no result. I've tried almost every combination and then rebooted and still nothing.

Not sure if a bios jumper reset will work or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope all had an awesome Christmas.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    wondering when you got online if you got a boot virus. try clearing your cmos. and boot from the cd and go to the recoveryconsole then type fixboot. see if that helps.

While anything is possible, I would not suppect the mobo "yet".

Do the following. Remove internet connection and anything else that was not present the last time you sucessfully booted your PC. Try to boot. If it still fails to work try the following.

1. Put xp disk in drive to see if the machine will boot to the CDROM.

2. Remove and reinstall memory.

3. If you can access BIOS settings, check to make sure Hard Drive active. It should show up on first BIOS page as Primary. If your HD is not listed, use arrow key to move to primary drive and hit enter. The HD should appear in the listing.

4. Check device manager to make sure NIC is working properly. If not uninstall nic and restart computer. Install drivers as necessary.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

probably there's some loose connections in your motherboard ...,

the loose connections can be anywhere ..

check your ram ... .

there can be problems in the power supply in your motherboard if it is coming in contact vth the cpu cabinet (not necessarily but can happen in some cases)

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    wondering when you got online if you got a boot virus. try clearing your cmos. and boot from the cd and go to the recoveryconsole then type fixboot. see if that helps.
    Yeah, there was an article somewhere which said that recent studies show that an unprotected, un-updated computer can catch a virus in 20 minutes. If its a virus, I suggest you follow the veterns on how to fix it because I have little experience in meddling with the BIOS and then try and order a free WIN XP SP2 update CD from Microsoft. Its the safest and fastest way to update your computer.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

I had this very same problem with a computer a year ago. It is amazing that I find this here. I did everything humanly possible to find out what was wrong, changed the hard drive, changed the memory, put in a new power supply, had the mother board tested and to no avail, it never did work, and we never found out what caused the problem and I had several technicians look at it. To this day it still remains a mystery to me. Finally ended up buying a new computer. I hope it all works out for you...

Thanks for all the great suggestions. This is what I've tried thusfar:

- Took out the DIMM, reseated the DIMM and rebooted: nothing.
    - The xp cd has been in the drive the whole time. After each reboot the cd-rom light will flicker a few times then go out. Rebooting from cd doesn't help.
    - Tried clearing cmos via the jumpers on the mobo. Did this according to the manual. Rebooted: nothing.
    - Since it won't boot properly, any attempt to get to the bios settings fails. That's out of the question.
    - Double checked all possible loose connections.

I will continue to "play" with this a little longer (until my patience runs out completely). If I don't get it up and running fairly soon, I will end up replacing the mobo. If anyone can think of anything I've missed --- Please post it here!!! I'm feeling a little bit of pressure from the wife since this is for her business and tax season is slowly coming upon us...

Can an unprotected pc still get a virus even though my pc's are behind my router/firewall?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Pull the CPU and make sure the heat sink is installed correctly, if it isn't ASUS COP will keep it from booting.

Take the MB battery out and then jump the CMOS, maybe another battery ?

I haven't heard much (if at all) about the bios corrupting in that MB but who knows...if it did corrupt then you'll need to hot flash it in another MB or get a new bios chip.

Make sure there isn't an extra standoff somewhere that might be shorting the MB.

Tell the truth...I'd get the MB replaced if your sure the V card, CPU and ram are fine.
    Last edited by FastGame; December 27th, 2004 at 00:41 AM.

There are many good mobo buys that are appropriate as replacements for your computer. Here is one.

Link

Thumbs up

I'm going for an exact replacement. Hopefully the board should be here in a day or two depending on the holiday rush.

My number one board of choice is ASUS. Come to think of it, that's all I've ever used. Anybody recommend good boards besides ASUS? I've considered using boards such as MSI, Soyo, Biostar, etc but don't know what to expect in terms of reliability, stability, etc.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I like ASUS & ABIT, right now I'm using a MSI K8N Neo Platinum and it's fine.

Possible dead mobo

Happy New Year! 2004 sure went by quick...

*** UPDATE ***

Some interesting new developments have occurred with that mobo that I thought was dead. You gotta hear this. It's interesting and it's the first time I've come across something like this.

Anyhow, I purchase an exact replacement because I was 99.9% sure it was the mobo and that it was fried. It couldn't have been any other major component because I switched out every one and did a reboot afterward with no encouraging results.

I get the new mobo all installed and ready to go. Then comes the moment of truth. I go to power it on and guess what? NOTHING! Completely dead! I was practically livid at this point.

So, I start from square one again and check everything again. I remember checking and reseating the cpu on at least four different occasions. I checked for bent/misaligned pins, odd coloration, etc. I thought maybe it's because I don't have enough thermal compound. So, I go out, buy some and apply it to both cpu and heat sink and try a reboot, nothing. I even got a piece of fine steel wool and made sure the bottom surface of the heat sink was nice and bright and shiny. Needless to say that didn't help.

I try a different hard drive, nothing.

So, I decide to try a different cpu and heatsink. As soon as I hit the power, that thing came right up!! The flipping cpu went bad! Upon bootup, the machine even beeped once, which I hadn't heard for a long time because I had suspected that the speaker had gone bad too. I have never had a cpu just go "belly up" on me. To confirm my suspicions, I even tried the faulty cpu in a different machine and sure enough, that machine didn't come up. Luckily, that faulty cpu is still under warranty and it's going directly back to the store where it came from.

What still baffles me is, how could it work a few times and allow me to install XP and then all of a sudden just decide to give up the ghost? Guess it's just one of those things...

It's a welcome relief to know that a problem, one that is particularly elusive, is finally solved.

Good job of diagnosing your problem.

Quick update in case anyone was wondering. I replaced the bogus cpu and the machine is up and running.

A correctly functioning machine is a happy machine.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    A correctly functioning machine is a happy machine.
    ....and a happy tech.