Thread: Why is my computer stopping, stuttering, moving in jerks?

Why is my computer stopping, stuttering, moving in jerks?

Hello All,
    My computer has begun to stutter. To describe it I'd say that when Spider Solitaire is dealing cards, the process is sometimes not smooth, but stalls out, then resumes. My Print Shop projects sometimes, but not always, do the same. Sometimes Outlook Express does it. I've emptied the temporary internet files. I haven't added any new programs or downloads. I keep spyware out. I've checked for viruses and there aren't any. This started about four days ago out of the blue. Can you help? Thanks.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Well, short of Spyware, What operating system are you running and how much memory is in your system?

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Well, short of Spyware, What operating system are you running and how much memory is in your system?
    I have Windows XP Home, 256K. This problem started out of the blue. I run Spybot and Ad Aware almost every day. I also use Spyware Blaster and update it regularly. I tried using CWShredder but after the system was cleaned I couldn't see the cards in Spider Solitaire, just hear them being dealt, so I had to reverse that. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Maybe the disk needs a good ol' defragmentatation if there's no spyware present. Or it could be dead RAM? Check your paging file usage. If there's not enough ram, the OS will use paging file which is extremely slow!
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

This looks like another occasion for Egghead's Spyware Removal thread.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9739
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Bronze Member
    I had the same problem, but with everything. And I think it was after trying to back up a DVD. My solution was rebooting the computer. Give that a try if you haven't. You might want to look at getting more RAM too, 256K won't cut it. :-p

Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    Maybe the disk needs a good ol' defragmentatation if there's no spyware present. Or it could be dead RAM? Check your paging file usage. If there's not enough ram, the OS will use paging file which is extremely slow!
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I defragmented the disk, which it needed but which didn't affect the problem. What is dead RAM and what is the paging file? By the way, I did try Egghead's solutions but the cwshredder caused me not to be able to see some graphics. Can I install new RAM without help from a techwizard?