Thread: New member - question re video card upgrade

Exclamation New member - question re video card upgrade

Hi. I am new here and I have a questions regarding upgrading a video card. I have an integrated Sis card right now with an open 4X AGP slot. I have been looking on Tigerdirect to buy a better card and most AGP cards are 8X. I want something that is 128 mb. Can I buy an 8X card and will it work in this slot or should I just go with a PCI.

I am not very knowledgeable about computers but I am thinking that the AGP cards have better performance and speed than PCI cards, is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.
    Nikki
    Last edited by nikkilugi; December 27th, 2004 at 01:51 AM. Reason: clarify title

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkilugi
    Hi. I am new here
    Yes you are and welcome to TZ

You can check this thread http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13145 it talks a bit about AGP 4X & 8X

You can go here and check (scroll down) what type of AGP slot your board has http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

Don't buy a PCI card ! if the card you want says 4X/8X it should work but maybe you should tell us what motherboard your PC has..

Also if your not going to play games or do CAD much then there's no reason to buy some hot rod card just to do windows or surf around...

I use Nvidia at the moment but IMO ATI has the better looking 2D, slightly better.

dont dismiss pci so quickly if you are only going to do some web surfing and things not of the gaming/cad nature pci cards are an ok solution. they are still good enough and come at a good price. i have had my eye on this card for a while and it is still an excellent card.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...140-041&depa=1

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The only reason I've boughten a PCI graphics card in the past was because the motherboard didn't have an AGP slot. No AGP, then PCI is the only way to go.

I think you can find prices in all ranges regardless of the type PCI or AGP. But if you have a choice go with AGP in general.

i would generally agree but unless you're a hard core gamer that has to play everygame at ultra ultra high video settings, or cad of coarse, then pci is good enough. i mean i have a friend who has a pny geforce fx5500 pci and halo looks real nice on his card. Same with farcry and UT2004.

Side note for anyone who wants to argue pci-e is soon going to be the must have interface for a vidoe card, even if agp has not realized its true potential yet.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If your motherboard has an AGP slot then there's no reason to get a PCI card. If it doesn't have an AGP slot then your only choice would be PCI.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    If your motherboard has an AGP slot then there's no reason to get a PCI card. If it doesn't have an AGP slot then your only choice would be PCI.

Agreed