Thread: Network Prob,

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation Network Prob,

its been a long time since i posted here for help, and its a duesy, probably,

1, i have 2 comps one is my notebook,the other si my tower comp,
    2, the towers specs are , windows xp sp1, amd 550, 256 ram, 20 gig hd,
    3, heres the prob, i can remote desktop to the Tower fine, but it cannot connect to the internet what so ever, i have a dlink 704up router, it has a valid ip address, now heres what iv found out, you all know Universial plug and play, well its enabled one both comps, my notebook sees my router as a internet gateway no probs, it says enabled,
    the tower see the same thing but is disabled and no matter what i do i cant get it enabled, when i say to connect it says connected, but i check it 1 sec later still says disabled, iv tryed reinstalling windows, ghosting back to previaous states that worke,d still nothign, latest nic drivers installed,
    Last edited by shadow_warez; December 27th, 2004 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spelling,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

In your TCP/IP settings on your tower, is the IP address of your router set as the default gateway?

Are you using the router as a DHCP server? Is it assigning IP addresses properly?

If manual settings for IP is the router set as your DNS server in your TCP/IP settings?

Going to work now will check the thread when I get home.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar
    the router gives the tower the right ip address, i use the router as my dhcp server, and i even got trhe mac addy of the nic in thier tto asighn the nic a proper ip address,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Settings

Here are some things to try-
    1. Can you access the web via direct addressing on the tooooower?
    Try http://204.1.226.226 (GRC.com). (prove DNS is not faulty)

2. Would you post the output of ipconfig /all for us to mull over. (see if settings are ok)

3. If you have a live distro you could boot from (knoppix/BartPE) can you try that and see if that works ok.(seperates hardware/software faults).

4. Try PATHPING (type PATHPING /? at a command prompt).

5. Some malwares mess up the TCP/IP stack so run a program like Spybot Search and Destroy to check it out.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    Here are some things to try-
    1. Can you access the web via direct addressing on the tooooower?
    Try http://204.1.226.226 (GRC.com). (prove DNS is not faulty)

2. Would you post the output of ipconfig /all for us to mull over. (see if settings are ok)

3. If you have a live distro you could boot from (knoppix/BartPE) can you try that and see if that works ok.(seperates hardware/software faults).

4. Try PATHPING (type PATHPING /? at a command prompt).

5. Some malwares mess up the TCP/IP stack so run a program like Spybot Search and Destroy to check it out.
    I was thinking DNS too. You can try an NSLOOKUP on google.com or something too.