Thread: Put my new comp together now it wants a boot disk...

Put my new comp together now it wants a boot disk...

Well thanks to some help from the people here I got all the parts I needed for my new but sort of old computer (Same old hard drive, floppy drive. CD drive and CD-RW drive). The new system is as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 3 ghz CPU with hyper threading (was going for a 2.8 but the store had to order one)

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (was going for an Abit AG8-V but the store had to order those)

1gb (2*512mb) OCZ PC3200 DDR RAM

ATI Radeon x700 pro 256mb graphics card

Vantec Stealth 520w power supply

Well I adventually got it all in the new case (the motherboard was 1/2 an inch to big for the old one), connected the monitor keyboard mouse and power, pressed the start button and...nothing happened. 15 seconds later I flip the switch on the new power supply and it starts up. It goes through various screens then I see "Please wait for IDE scan..." and then 5 or so (flashed up quickly) not connecteds appear. The screen then says " Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I never got a boot disk with any of the new parts and it did'nt seem to like the windows xp CD. I looked through the BIOS a bit not really knowing what to look for and adventually leaving it alone. I went on this computer and searched for boot disks ion google and came up with a quick boot disk for windows xp. I copied this onto a CD and tried it in the other computer, no go.

So, anyone know what the problem is and how I fix it?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    unplu your computer and check the cables to and from your hard d rives. you should also check power cables and make sure the cd rom is hookedd up.

check the jumpers to ensure they are master and slave respectivly.

thye windowsxp cd is a boot cd and is all you need to get up and running.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I'll check the cables again. The windows xp CD is the reinstallation CD that Dell gave me, that's the right CD to boot right?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Set the BIOS to boot from the CD by choosing the order of Boot Devices.

Well I got to the windows login screen so I guess that's an impovement. The only problem is it wants me to activate Windows XP and when I try to phone them and give them the number I was told to give them from the activation screen I get "The number you have entered is not a valid activation key" or something along those lines.

To get to the windows screen I went into the BIOS and told it to boot from the CD first and repaired Windows XP. While I was in the BIOS I noticed that it had the CD-ROM drive as the master IDE device and my hard drive as the slave and when I load up I still get that screen with the 4 or 5 "not connected"s when it Checks for IDE devices. Also now I get a screen where it says "No master IDE device detected press F1" I opened the case up again to make sure I had the hard drive and CD drive connected properly. According to the ASUS instructions the blue connector goes to the primary IDE slot on the motherboard, the grey connector to the master hard disk and the black connector to the CD drive or slave hard drive, I had it setup exactly as it is supposed to be.

So, any sugestions on how to activate windows and make the computer recognize that the hard drive is the master IDE device not the CD drive, or are these 2 problems the same, will I not need to activate it once it figures out that the hard drive not the CD drive is the master?

Thanks in advance

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I assume that you installed the new hardware in a Dell case? The XP installation cd from Dell normally doesn't require activation when reinstalled on that system because the activation code is bios locked to their system. By changing the motherboard, you now have a different bios and as such it will have to be activated. typically Dell puts the Product Key on a sticker somewhere on the case. If that number doesn't work to activate Windows, You will have to contact MS by phone to activate the OS.

Yeah I tried phoning microsoft again and it worked so now my computer is activated. I still get the annoying message that no master hard drive is connected and to press F! when I start the computer. The hard drive itself works perfectly so this is'nt that important just something that is annoying.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizze
    I still get the annoying message that no master hard drive is connected and to press F! when I start the computer.
    Could it be that your not using SATA and you have SATA as first boot in bios ? If your not using SATA disable it.

Well I got it working by disregarding what the instructions said and switching the plugs around, the cable was only juuust long enough but now it realises that the hard drive is in fact the one, only and master.

Thanks for the help.