Thread: any suggestions for AMD Athlon XP CPU?

any suggestions for AMD Athlon XP CPU?

Hello everyone. New to the techzonez forums. Anyway, i perused through some of the threads - seems like a knowledgeable place. Im new to building computers. I have recently purchased a AMD motherboard that supports Socket A. I'd like to go with an Athlon XP flavor chip ( supports up to 3000+ ). But i've done some reading and it seems that the highest number chip doesn't always equate to the best one. I've heard sketchy things about the 2500+ barton - both good and bad. Anyone here have experience with any athlon xp chips (more importantly the 3000+). Im really looking for something that overclocks well on stock cooling but within range of the power that the 3000 supposedly has - just looking for suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

An0

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Look no further than this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-436&depa=0 best dang Athlon XP ever made

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Look no further than this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-436&depa=0 best dang Athlon XP ever made
    That should be a great chip. I chose another route. Bought the 2400XP for for $52.00 and overclocked it to 2600. Buy as fast as you budget will allow. You will be happy with it.

Fastgame - Did you overclock the 2600XP?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    That should be a great chip. I chose another route. Bought the 2400XP for for $52.00 and overclocked it to 2600. Buy as fast as you budget will allow. You will be happy with it.

Fastgame - Did you overclock the 2600XP?
    Yes it's OC'd in my sons PC. it's @2310ghz with 210 (420)fsb, runs like a champ, had it up to 2500ghz but gets too hot for air and fsb won't go higher cuz of the ram.

The Mobile bartons are the best because they're still unlocked and run on less voltage...they're the cream of the crop. It's a waste of money on the XP 3000, the 2600 will do as well for less. The Mobile 2400 & 2500 are good also but the price difference isn't worth passing the 2600.

Even though I'm running A64 now I still think the XP Mobile barton is a very powerful machine

I appreciate all your prompt replies.

So the AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ is better than 2800 and 3000+..... I think you have me sold. Has really good reviews on this newegg site. I think im gonna give them a try. Thanks for all the help. Im glad I asked someone before i spent an extra 50 bucks on an inferior 3000+ chip.