Thread: Activating Windows XP after upgrading most of the computer

Activating Windows XP after upgrading most of the computer

Well I have recently upgraded my computer (new RAM, new motherboard, new CPU, new graphics card, new power supply) and now it won't let me login untill I activate Windows XP.

So I followed the instructions and phoned the number I was given and told the computer on the other end of the phone line the number I was given. Then the computer told me that this was not a valid activation key and after repeating this and telling me to reinstall Windows XP it hung up. Well I reinstalled windows xp and it asked me to activate it again, so I tried again (I noticed it was a different key) and got the same result. I visited the microsoft website and discovered that there is some kind of voting system in Windows XP to decide if this is the same computer as before. I assume I failed that since I changed so much of the computer. This seems wrong to me as I still only have that one copy of windows xp installed on one hard drive. I'm not reproducing windows and putting it on all the computers I can find or anything like that.

Just as a note, I did not reformat the hard drive, I left it as it is to avoid having to do anything like this, I guess it did'nt work. Windows is still installed on the computer, it even has the same user logins and wallpapers for those users as before.

So, is there any way for me to fix this? Any number I can phone to talk to someone at Microsoft who can help me?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I believe that you can change up to 3 major devices within the system w/o having to reactivate. The link here covers how to go about running thru the activation process, although it sounds like you've already gone thru it all. How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default...07890&sd=techh

The article indicates that at one point you should be able to actualy speak to a support rep at MS, and I understand that you can then explain the issue to them.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    The article indicates that at one point you should be able to actualy speak to a support rep at MS, and I understand that you can then explain the issue to them.
    rik is right, somewhere there is activate by phone with a number to call, they'll walk you through it until it's activated.

I phoned them again and it worked so that's a step in the right direction. I installed windows xp service pack 1 because the motherboard software needed it, now my mouse does'nt work the keyboard does but no matter what mouse I try nothing happens. The motherboard is an Asus P5GD1. Also when starting up Windows it takes a LONG time to start. The blue screen saying "Windows is Starting up" stays for a few minutes 3-5, this never happened with the older slower setup, any idea how to speed this up?

EDIT: While I was trying to convince the computer that the hard drive was master I was restarting the computer a fair bit and it takes almost EXACTLY 1 minute and 30 seconds to go through the "windows is starting up" screen.
    Last edited by Tizze; December 28th, 2004 at 18:02 PM.

Click Start then Right-Click My Computer. Next click Properties>Hardware>Device Manager. Click the "+" beside "Mice and other pointing devices". Uninstall any mouse devices listed and then reboot. The mouse should be automatically configured for use.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

hard to right click without a mouse!!

Linux Mint Debian Edition

After start your computer.
    Use "Tab" to select from "Start" --> Desktop.
    Use "up" "down" buttom to select "My Computer"
    When highlight "My Computer" , use "Shift" + "F10" (at same time) to call a pop up menu.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lemoncoke
    After start your computer.
    Use "Tab" to select from "Start" --> Desktop.
    Use "up" "down" buttom to select "My Computer"
    When highlight "My Computer" , use "Shift" + "F10" (at same time) to call a pop up menu.
    attaboy lemon....

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    attaboy lemon....
    Remember...one awshit, wipes out 10 attaboy's....lmao....just breakin your chops dood...