Thread: Plain Geforce 6600 or the 6600GT version

Plain Geforce 6600 or the 6600GT version

Hi.

New to this forum (my first post).
    Gonna spend my last bucks on a new graphics card and decided on either

MSI GeForce 6600 256MB DDR PCI-E PCI Express, NX6600-TD256E
    or
    MSI GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR PCI-E PCI Express, NX6600GT-TD128E

The GT costs about 25 dollars more here in Norway.

Should I go for the 256MB card or the GT card? Which would better for gaming (Doom3, HL2, Halo2, Far Cry etc.)?

Thanx in advance!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    The GT would be the better card.

Silver Member
    i agree with conan although in farcry with my 6600gt i experience lighting quality problems everything is too bright and ive tried many diff. things to fix it but failed so i gave up

In terms of video card memory, does a 256ddr necessary for today's 3d applications and next-gen games? Or a 128ddr may still be considerable?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    didnt realize we have another Pinoy on the board. What part of the PI are you from? My moms family lives in olongapo. Actually my mom are little brother are going back next friday for a month.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isha2005
    In terms of video card memory, does a 256ddr necessary for today's 3d applications and next-gen games? Or a 128ddr may still be considerable?
    For most parts, the higher GPU and memory speeds of the different classes of cards make the main difference!! On-card memory is mainly used to store the large amounts of textures and buffers etc, with early PCI/AGP cards there was no point in having large amounts of VRAM since the actual bus speed was quick enough to read/write hence we only had 4->16 meg cards etc... but with AGP4/8 and PCI-X, and games like doom3 with massive texture files, more ram is better, but shouldnt be the deciding factor if you can get more GPU/Mem speed as is the case between 6600@256mb or 6600GT@128mb...

I would hazard a guess that 128mb should suffice for latest games as long as the card is decent (read: X600/6600 etc) but if you got the money to get a 256mb version of the GT cards then it wouldnt hurt it

Best bet is to keep saving for the X800XT or 6800GT LOL, not too long though, I'm still waiting 4 years going

oh, all this assumes you actually want the card to play Lots of 3D games, for only office work, on-board VGA is good enough

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well cashsite, I can't wait that long! ( 4year's ). My v.card just broke up awhile ago and I'm using the built in v.card of my board...And I'm so irritated the way my computer runs today... And phishhead, I'm in Antipolo City Its good to see "kabayan"s here!

And phishhead, I'm in Antipolo City Its good to see "kabayan"s here!
    I'm in Quezon City.

Nyay! umm, Conan, do you think the price of the video cards here in our country is cheaper? Or its much better to buy in the US? I was hoping I could buy the GT6600 here but the price is at P12,998. It's kinda.... expensive!

Nyay! umm, Conan, do you think the price of the video cards here in our country is cheaper? Or its much better to buy in the US? I was hoping I could buy the GT6600 here but the price is at P12,998. It's kinda.... expensive!
    It's more expensive here and cards come out slower (same with price reductions) than in the US. It's better to buy in the US.