Thread: Windows XP Home Reinstall Issue

Windows XP Home Reinstall Issue

Hi there. I'm trying to help a friend (over the phone no less) reinstall Windows XP Home on their pc. When inserting the CD and booting from it to do the installation, it does not give her the option of deleting any partitions or installing over the current one. In addition to this, she says it will not except her product key. My thought was to fdisk it, but she doesn't have a floppy drive. Any thoughts or suggestions from you guys/gals would be greatly appreciated!

(other tid bits, 3.2 Ghz, Pent. 4, 1 GB RAM)

Thanks in Advance!

Choose install at first question (not repair)
    At next screen it should find the installation and offer to repair it (you will need the product key later). - choose repair here (press R).

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Yeah what Curio said. Here's a guide to follow while your on the phone http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...dhdd/index.htm

You better figure out the XP key problem first, sure she's using the right key ?

I'm 99% sure she's using the right key... I hope. I'll give this a try over the weekend and let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for trying to help me. Additionally, if I come up with a solutions I'll post it as well.

I know you can find certain product keys in the registry. Is there a way that I can check her registry against the key she has on her CD case?