Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need the best antivirus out there

Exclamation I need the best antivirus out there

Norton is just not good enough. And i tried scannign online at housecall trendmicro whatever and it cant access the viruses on my computer, so whats the point? Help!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well if you're already infected best thing to do would be get the innoculation program for your particular virus like the stinger app for the slammer virus. then I would boot to safe mode and run it.Here is the link for the most up-to-date stinger. I always keep the newest one on my pen drive just incase I need it.

Platinum+ Member
    if u want real security try the norton/mcafee complete suite (like antivirus, firewall, internet securty, system tools). But given that norton is a ram-eater, u could try zonealarm wid avg in conjunction wid NAV (cos avg supposedly works wid norton).
    But make sure to ask the experienced TZ members before buying somin reeealy expensive only to be disappointed. They'll point u in da rite direction.

I stand corrected. It seems NAV isnt as heavy on the ram as i thought it was. Thanks supastar.
    Last edited by tarun; January 12th, 2005 at 04:52 AM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tarun
    if u want real security try the norton/mcafee complete suite (like antivirus, firewall, internet securty, system tools). But given that norton is a ram-eater, u could try zonealarm wid avg in conjunction wid NAV (cos avg supposedly works wid norton).
    But make sure to ask the experienced TZ members before buying somin reeealy expensive only to be disappointed. They'll point u in da rite direction.
    Old versions of Norton Internet Security were very resource-intensive but I have had good results with the new 2005 version. Runs the best so far IMHO.

Triple Platinum Member
    supastar: wat abt the 2003 version..thats the one i have and have no plans of BUYING the 2005 version (avg is ok, i guess)

hypnotiq: avg 7, avast 4 are 2 good free anti virus softwares i know...if u use them and keep ur virus definitions up to date...u shud have no problem watsoever...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    NOD32 hasn't failed me yet. Nor has McAfee on another system. AVAST according to Conan and FG works well.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I am sold on Panda Platinum Security Suite.It catches spam,hacker tools,spyware,adware,fraud protection,restriction to dangerous sites.Spybot registers no new spyware unless I turn off the protection in Panda.Adaware only picks up negligible entries.Feels the safest so far and I've tried several already mentioned.A bit pricey $59,but worth it.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I have been happy with Avast. I supplement it with an occasional Panda online scan.

My favorite new security program is SpyBlaster. It innoculates you from over 3000 items.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Old versions of Norton Internet Security were very resource-intensive but I have had good results with the new 2005 version. Runs the best so far IMHO.
    NIS 2005, sounds good, is it aimed at a little higher spec comp than mine? Or would it actually run better than 03/04? Do you think this version of NIS is better than the McAffee suite you were using before?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rohitkumar
    supastar: wat abt the 2003 version..thats the one i have and have no plans of BUYING the 2005 version (avg is ok, i guess)
    I found the 2003 version very slow by comparison!

Triple Platinum Member
    oh alrite....i think ill stick wid avast and avg...ill buy one when i have my on pc/laptop for college

well i think tarun is right... the new norton suites r really good.... they even monitor your popups and sites that are trying to access internet explorer....
    Cheers,
    Bringing The Humanity Back Into Computing

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ashish
    well i think tarun is right... the new norton suites r really good.... they even monitor your popups and sites that are trying to access internet explorer....
    Thats true....and ok, but for FREE you could have a better performing setup.

AVAST Free edition paired with Free editions of either Sygate or ZoneAlarm firewalls, FREE can be really good

If you like FREE software and want something more powerful, support the software makers and choose the (pay$$) Pro Editions.

If you live in the US, the AFLAC duck really says AVAST !

Titanium Member
    Most all security experts agree that Avast! Free is the best free AV out there.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I am running Avast free, NOD32 free, Sygate free, Ad-Aware free, and SpywareBlaster free.

Yeah, I'm cheap. But I'm also virus and spyware free...