Thread: Disk Clean-up is leaving a lot of cookies in Temporary Internet Files

Disk Clean-up is leaving a lot of cookies in Temporary Internet Files

I had some 318 mb of cookies in Tempoerary Internet Files when I ran disk cleanup. Then, when I checked the Temp. Internet Files Folder, there were still 16 mb of cookies there. Most read cookie: John D. Miller: @ (with address)

What's going on? Shouldn't they all be deleted from Disk Clean-up?

Any problem with deleting the Temporary Internet Folder when this happens?

(Reverend: thanks for your reply about the System and System32 folders.)
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    No Disk Cleanup will not affect cookies. On the main menu of Internet Options there is a button to delete cookies. I have all cookies blocked except for some exceptions which are the sites that I visit often.

OK, but Conan, Disk Cleanup did get rid of 318 MB - 16 MB = 298 MB of cookies. I checked Temporary Internet Files before and after I ran Disk Cleanup. Think Disk Cleanup just failed to do its job completely?

Guess I should take the time (and probably will) to allow certain cookies as you have done.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    wumply try CCleaner its free. Does a good job of cleaning everything and has an option to keep the cookies you want. Read the directions and check out the options, CCleaner does a bunch of stuff so make sure you know what its going to do when you push the button

Triple Platinum Member
    damn..fg beat me to it...try ccleaner...wat a wonderful bit of freeware...removed 370+mb from my mom's work laptop the first time i ran it there...

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    OK, but Conan, Disk Cleanup did get rid of 318 MB - 16 MB = 298 MB of cookies. I checked Temporary Internet Files before and after I ran Disk Cleanup. Think Disk Cleanup just failed to do its job completely?

Guess I should take the time (and probably will) to allow certain cookies as you have done.
    That is not cookies that got deleted but other files like web page images, etc. Disk Cleanup does not have the option to delete cookies. FYI each Cookie is only 1 KB in size.

Additionally you should set your Temporary Internet File cache to around 50 mb.

Last edited by Conan; January 3rd, 2005 at 05:53 AM.

Conan: Thanks for your help in your last reply. Would you now tell me something else...how did you get that settings image into your reply so precisely? I mean, not knowing, I would have thought of using the printscreen key but rejected that idea for, in this case, its impracticality.

Also what happens when you reach 50 MB if that is what your Temporary Internet Files Cache is limited to...do you get a notice of that fact or what?

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Conan: Thanks for your help in your last reply. Would you now tell me something else...how did you get that settings image into your reply so precisely? I mean, not knowing, I would have thought of using the printscreen key but rejected that idea for, in this case, its impracticality.

Also what happens when you reach 50 MB if that is what your Temporary Internet Files Cache is limited to...do you get a notice of that fact or what?
    To get that screeshot I pressed Ctrl Alt Prt Scr at the same time. When the cache limit of 50 MB is reached then I think Disk Cleanup automatically starts deleting the contents. I also use the option of "Empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed".