Thread: Double checking some Firefox settings.

Question Double checking some Firefox settings.

I'm a long time Firefox user - used to seeing the various hints and tips around the web. I'm now trying to validate/understand a few of them for myself.

The one that I'd like to deal with first is the classic:

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests :32

In this thread:http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...4&page=2&pp=15

carloc posts what seems to me to be a very reasonable explanation as to why the value of 32 cannot be useful:-

32 has no meaning because this variable accepts only values from 1 to NS_HTTP_MAX_PIPELINED_REQUESTS, which is set to 8 (see nsHttp.h file in Firefox source).
    So just so I know that this holds true - could someone with greater technical knowledge than mine please confirm that this link references the relevent coding and that this is still valid.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/sou...rc/nsHttp.h#96

P.S. I'm not having a dig at anyone who has posted this advice - there's something about Firefox that encourages folks to be friendly and share these tips on a 'trust' basis.

Thumbs up I now have the answer

Ok - I've been working this one for a couple of days - and finally found the definitive answers I wanted and the back up references/links.

Opens my thread on Firefox Support Forum

In short - Firefox network.http.pipelining.maxrequests is indeed hard-coded to 8 and you cannot raise the max.requests value above this simply by putting a higher figure in the about:config file.

It's no biggy in itself - just one of those things that once you start to see it - it seems to be everywhere - and I needed to resolve it for myself and thought having done so - you might like the info for yourselves.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    That is good research Journeyman, with good evidence. I'm sure it will be quite helpful to other members.

It seems a little silly though that FFox would hard code values, could you not simply change the value of NS_HTTP_MAX_PIPELINED_REQUESTS ??

In any case, thanks for the clarification

update: Ok, so it seems that this #define MAX_REQUESTS is actually set during compile time, so... if you were able to rebuild the solution then you could set the requests to greater than 8 :d

However, from all of this, a lot of the network configuration in FF is very dependant on the system specs of the computer in particulary the Internet connection. Someone with dialup access would not benefit from higher number of requests etc as there's not much bandwidth, while Cable/DSL would to a certain extent and so on.
    Last edited by cash_site; January 4th, 2005 at 21:21 PM.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hi cash_site - thanks for the response. On this occasion I was deliberately trying to restrict myself to this one question. As you know I was lucky to find the right guy - I agree the evidence makes the argument - it took more than one attempt before I struck gold. Now I'll try and speak to some of your thoughts. I should stress I have no expertise, but you may find some of this provides an interesting distraction.

It is my understanding that those of us who are fortunate and have broadband are the ones that pipelining would normally be aimed at. Although, as you suggest, there seem to be many factors that might affect gains. This is why I have the Pref Button extension - it enables me to turn pipelining on and off from the toolbar (it simply changes the value of pipelining from false to true and back again and doesn't in itself affect any other values).

Pref Buttons Extension Download Page

Now why not have higher values - or no limit at all ? This is the area where the flame wars around pipelining really start. It is the problem of understanding how a server might be affected by high value pipelining - particularly when different people are making the same level of hits.

At the moment this guys response is the one that I am leaning towards being the most useful I have read so far - I would be happy if someone else here could validate it - it seems to make sense:-

Be aware while #37 seems to be a good post - much of the thread it is in, is ill tempered. I wouldn't normally link to such bad language - but the page should open up to the correct post and I don't like to just copy and paste other people's work

See Post #37 by Cetra on this link

Now with reference to changing the build itself, with an eye on matching it with your own system spec's - I suppose this guy 'Moox' is the individual most referenced when the subject of a modded/optimized Firefox comes up:-

Moox Power

Obviously - there's always a possible trade off with stability - so, particularly if your young and speedy and tempted by Moox's mojo - its probably best to take an extra minute or two just to make sure you're happy with where you're going - and you know how to get back to square 1 if you need to.
    Last edited by The Journeyman; January 5th, 2005 at 12:06 PM.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I used to use Moox builds in the past but after tweaking the normal release versions of Firefox I see no difference in speed.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well it all sounds good JourneyMan, I have heard of the Moox versions before (thx Conan) and also found that with a slight tweak there was minimal difference for me due to have very slow dialup connection.

This research did give good insight though.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for reading guys - I personally haven't used his builds but as the thread was related to streamlining and has touched on how it depends in part on individual system specs - I threw it in for good measure on the off chance someone who wasn't aware of it might be interested.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1