Thread: Desktop shortcut icons for links to sites have been replaced with MSIE's big E icon

Desktop shortcut icons for links to sites have been replaced with MSIE's big E icon

One such example is Techzonez and there are several others. And if I go to MSIE and click on either of the 2 favorites links (File Edit View Favorites) or (Back Button Forward Button Stop Refresh Home Search Favorites), I get, of course, the list of all desktop site icons and all of them have that big E icon in front of the name.

But many (not all) of my desktop site icons had their own colorful icons. How can I get them back?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You lost them by deleting your temporary internet files cache. If you leave the cache intact after visiting the site and go through the process of bookmarking them again, the icons should be there again.

The icons never left MSIE's Favorites list; it was just that those that had their own colorful icon now had only the Big E. All the icons in the Favorites List were still there and on my desktop and all had the Big E symbol. I now tried going to the site, clicking Favorites, then Add to Favorites and OK. All that happened was that the site I did this with was added a 2nd. time to my Favorites List. (I could drag the icon from the List to my desktop as before (that was how I got the icon on the desktop); it dragged there this time too just fine, but the symbol was still the big E. ?????

Conan:

NO NEED TO RESPOND TO MY LAST MESSGE!

Why? Would you believe that when I booted up just now (Jan 4, 05) the morning after my last message, all icons were simply back on my desktop in full color as originally. I didn't do anything other than reboot. GO FIGURE! Thanks for you help and efforts, especially for that Ctrl, Alt and PrintScreen tip.

wumply

Situation of last message short-lived!!! Now a few hours later on same day (Jan 4, 05), only some of the colorful desktop icons are colored; the others have reverted to the Big E symbol. And all I have done is to use my computer normally without problem. [U]DISCOURAGING/U]

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I think Conan is on the right track wumply, however, instead of you actually choosing to clear the temporary internet cache, the cache has a fixed size, and once it is full, it simply deletes the old files and puts in the new ones... so you may have accidently overwriting some of those icons, simply by surfing the net (too much )

Just as a safe measure, you should also do a complete virus scan and spyware/adware scan. just to eliminate factors.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

From which it should follow (Cash_site's post) that if I visit those colorful icon sites again, the colorful icons should return?

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    From which it should follow (Cash_site's post) that if I visit those colorful icon sites again, the colorful icons should return?
    Perhaps... althought i have a feeling that you have to re-bookmark them to update... but give it a go, and let us know.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, I deleted all colorful-icons listings from Favorites and my desktop. Then I went to each site, clicked on Favorites > Add to Favorites. Once listed in Favorites, the sites had their colorful icons. So then I did my old trick of using my right mouse button to drag the Favorites listing to my desktop and clicking "Create shortcut here." But they all came out with the Big E icon. So now I deleted those just-dragged desktop icons and redragged them from Favorites using my left mouse button. But that didn't work either--still the icons ended up with the Big E.

Afterthought! Maybe I should try again wiping out Favorites listings and desktop icons, also all my cookies. Then go to the sites, save to Favorites and again try dragging. ?????

Why cant you simply create a shortcut to your Favourites folder on the desktop? Then you should have all the links (with their nice/pretty colors) and in an easy to get to place

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, it's a day later now (Jan.5) where I am. I booted up this morning--and lo and behold all my pretty-color desktop site icons are back. Din't do nuthin' save reboot since my last msgs. So I guess one big part of the solution is time...patience. My thanks to everyone.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Well sounds good, just keep us posted if anything else changes on you. Also, did you end up doing a virus and adware scan?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---