Thread: Long Read, Important to our community

Long Read, Important to our community

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Lafayette certainly needs to win this.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Burn in hell mama bell. Seems like this sort of crap is always getting in the way of advancement of technology and the spread of that technology...

I mean when you got this sort of crap going on:

Terry Huval, director of the Lafayette Utilities System, thinks BellSouth's real goal is to kill the project. "Their end-game is to frustrate us so much that we back away from this project," he says. Huval adds, "There won't be any cross-subsidies" because the city plans to use revenue from its new broadband services to finance the entire cost of the project.

Lobbying by BellSouth and Cox has forced the city to spend $400,000 defending itself, Huval says. "They go around telling people we're spending too much, even though they're the cause of a lot of that," he fumes.
    That is a shame... more is being spent on legal battles than on the service...
    Last edited by Big Booger; January 5th, 2005 at 20:43 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I hate the high speed Internet policy in the US, it sucks real bad ! it really sucks in Michigan !! Michigan ranks last in the US for high speed net. It ranks #1 in the US for fat people and #1 for the worst roads !!! I don't want to eat a bunch or drive !! I want high speed net!!!!! Grrrrrrrr

AT&T has a huge pipe in our town, they won't let anyone on except the school and no plans ever to let anyone else use it....Grrrr !!

Comcast cable has been in our town since cable was invented, there's no plans ever to have cable Internet ! Grrrrr

I give up ! I'm going to eat 5 pizzas and hit a pot hole Grrrrr !!!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    LOL, this sounds exactly like in Aus, except we really only have one big telco, that owns all the infrastructure and charges others ISPs wholesale prices which are actually more expensive than the retail cost from the original telco

They need to get off their high horse, and make High-speed internet access a cheap comodity, then concentrate on offering value-added services, such as VoIP, Video, Pay-TV etc etc

Everyone wants to milk the community and make an extra buck

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    It is only me, or the adds in this thread show after the first post?
    US broadband is way expensive compared to other services. But I don't understand why people don't complain. You hear complains all the time for gas prices, but the thruth is that I spent almost same amount of gas and Internet a month, and I have to use Premium.
    I can buy a month worth on food (food that I like)
    I can buy 512 PC3200 Ultra RAM at TigerDirect.
    Weird, isn't it?? If people has to buy RAM think about it, check prices, wonder a lot. Internet is paid and there is no complain. ANd it is paid month after month.
    At least I get the juice of my connection. Probably the rest of the town hates me because I eat all the bandwith (J/K)

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    See this post for the ads
    Its funny how people value different things in life... we should all value things compared to object (bring back bartering)... I think my horse is worth 2.5 tubs of glue !

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    TKS. I was wondering about those ads, and I seen them on the section or at the top, so I was wondering (Y)