Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virus Scans are often widely recommended. Why?

Virus Scans are often widely recommended. Why?

Let me amplify my question. Virus scanners work all the time. I've never come up with a virus detected by a virus scan, so my basic question is...

Are there compelling, bottomline reasons why scans are so frequently recommended or is it just one of those things that everyone picks up on but for which an "Is this really necesary" question never gets asked. I mean if your virus software finds a virus via a scan, why didn't that same software find it when it infected your computer?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    wumply as of late at work atleast 30% of my tech support calls are spyware related. As a tech I'll remote in to my customers and you dont know how many times I've seen pc's that aren't protected or their defs are 6months old. So thats why I think techs say that.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Not all antivirus programs are "infallible". That's why most of us longtime users on the board have continually experimented with different antivirus programs.

Clarification: When I said "virus programs work all the time" I meant that they start up automatically when you boot so they are always 'on'. I didn't mean they were infallible. Sorry.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    the next wave of virus trojans are deadly. If you are one of the unlucky ones that gets one before it is spread to enough users that antivirus companies finally detect it. You may not be able to remove it and thyere is the possibilty that the antivirus company may not detect the virus that has already infected a system. These installers are smart and change files and signatures. Most antivirus programs scan for a small peice of code. So if you download it first it may catch it. But i have seen viruses remain undetected even tho the antivirus is able to find and block the installer. what i'm saying is that i turned the antivirus off to get infected and the antivirus could not detect i was infected and i watched all of this remotely.
    hehe

These new trojan viruses also seek and destroy all antivirus software and bypass and in some cases destroy your software firewall
    ------------------------------------------------------------

But, egghead, if your virus program didn't catch it to begin with, how is it the same program in a scan going to catch it? I don't understand. Or are just at risk for what you describe no matter what?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    But, egghead, if your virus program didn't catch it to begin with, how is it the same program in a scan going to catch it? I don't understand. Or are just at risk for what you describe no matter what?
    when you update your virus definitions it can find virus installer files in it's database. each antivirus program has faults and you really need to stop clicking attachments in email and stop using internet explorer etc...

one of the only scanners that can detect some new trojans is trojan hunter 4
    www.trojanhunter.com

this detected viral in memory when panda and trend said it was clean.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Wumply, Your system is always at risk. I kind of equate a Virus Scan as a locked screen door...It's ok to keep an honest person out, but obviously there are still ways to get in. VS software is a "best effort" to keep our systems infection free, but as previously pointed out none are infallible. They are constantly having to be updated, subscriptions kept up to date, etc. All in an effort to keep our systems virus free. They all operate differently, so some work better in some cases. I personally run 2 different AV's, plus FW software and am behind a router. All in an effort to keep all the "nothing" on my system private and virus free.

rik: did you have to pick your 2 AV's carefully so they don't conflict? Or do you just use one as default for when you're online and then run each independently from time to time to do a full scan? Or how do you do it?

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Hmmm

My AV is Nortons Anti-Virus 2004,

It may be the biggest resource hog in the world, but it does it's job, and does its job brilliantly.

I dropped NAV at the start of last year in quest for a better lighter faster alternative.

I didn't find one, and i installed about 5 different types of anti-virus, each one of them had their problems, either they didn't stop viruses as well as Norton's, or their features wasn't as complete/useful as Norton.

So i'm back to Norton's again, only after i got burnt, after getting a virus where it permantely damaged Windows XP during one of the other anti-virus tests, NOD32 it was called, and on www.betanews.com this was highly regarded, in my tests, it was total crap.

It's possible to run 2 AV'S on the same computer, but only one can be active 24/7 as a shield, or theirs serious conflictions in most cases if you run 2 active virus shields.

The 2nd one can be used as a seperate scanner, each AV has different ways of detecting viruses, thus some detect viruses which the other software didn't pick up, what a bitch huh?

Where's the all in one solution damn it!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GimieGimieGimie
    Where's the all in one solution damn it!
    Avast Pro!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I am running both Avast and NOD 32 on 1 system. I also have Norton Corporate on another box and AVG on another. They all seem to do a pretty good job and have good performance. Not sure really which I prefer, but I've used Norton AV for a long time and it hasn't failed me yet.

Lynchknot is really the one you should speak to about AV software as I think he has used them all at one time or another...

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Lynchknot is really the one you should speak to about AV software as I think he has used them all at one time or another
    and now he only has 4megs of ram system ram left. And for some reason now his hard drive light stays red and wont flicker anymore.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Avast Pro!
    Yep

The only bad thing I've found with Avast is if you have it set to the highest level of security it can at times be real slow scanning ISO (they're looking into it). Once I know my ISO's, games, movies and music are clean they go into Avast exclusion list.

Titanium Member
    One may sneak in like a zero day virus which may be added to virus database later to be download by your AV - some check every hour - so it's recommended to perform a virus scan as well as running your resident scanner. I think your resident is pretty much keeping an eye on open connections, and what is passing through, when you are busy. At idle, I have noticed, it will resume to looking at files not in use.

Security Experts recommend a Layered defense:

I am using Avast Pro (4.5.561) as resident (only uses heuristics for email), NOD32 as on demand as it has very good heuristics, and I use Norman sometimes for it's sandbox technology. I also may use Escan free toolkit which is a Kasperki engined scanner using the same "x update data base" updated weekly - lighter in resource usage than kAV itself but will only show infection location not clean it. Then run a cleaner for that particular file location.

Never run two AV's at the same time. I turn off Avast when running another AV.

Also some run Ewido to "patch" what the AV's miss (trojans, dialers, keylogger, etc) I use it as on demand as I only have the free version.
    Anti-Virus programs offer insufficient protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.

That's where the protection of the ewido security suite starts and supplements existing security applications to a complete security system, because only a complete security system works effective.
    Today Ewido scores 2452, so I believe that Avast & Ewido combo is able to beat McAfee VSE 8.0i.
    Top rated Kasperski is great but my computer can't handle the resource draw.

**edit - I might as well tell you what else I use and which most at security forums say is important. This is a must have: Process guard
    ProcessGuard is a powerful new cutting-edge program that greatly increases
    the security of your computer by preventing processes from being able to attack
    each other. It is considered by experts to be a must-have program for all users
    of Windows, and is the only program available that can actually prevent the
    installation and infection of all known rootkit stealth trojans.
    and the free: Prevx home

Both of these hardly use any resources

Last edited by lynchknot; January 6th, 2005 at 18:11 PM.