Thread: Free Zipping Utility

Free Zipping Utility

ok, i am looking for a free zipping utility that i can possibly distrubte to my clients. its one of those situations where they are so behind the times that they dont have WinXP (and therefore no pre-installed zipping utility). i cant remember if 98 had one built in.

regardless, i'm wondering if any of you know of any free to distribute untilities?

thanks in advance.

Not sure exactly what format you are wanting to handle. But you may be interested in this 7 Zip
    Last edited by The Journeyman; January 6th, 2005 at 15:54 PM.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1

sorry for not specifying... i would like it to handle the normal .zip files. nothing fancy like rar's or whatnot.

what i mean by the distribution is b/c some of my clients are running stuff that is so old, that they dont have any zipping untility. these are people who are still running win95 and dont even know how to do basic computing functions. something easy is preferable (like how the built-in WinZip is just a right-click menu option, etc)... but not completely neccessary.

thanks for the link.. i'll check it out.

Sure Zak - the only other one that I have experience of (used it with '98) without any problem is this one:-

Zip Central

The only reason I changed to 7-Zip was that increasingly I needed to be able to access RAR files. Also with you wishing to distribute to your clients - I thought the GNU credentials of 7-Zip may be more suitable.
    Last edited by The Journeyman; January 6th, 2005 at 19:07 PM. Reason: Desperately needed a smilie in there :)
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Can you not just use a free demo version of winzip ?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

ha, yea. i didnt realize until i was talking with my dad last night that the trial version of winzip is free. i breifly checked up their website, but only saw links to their purchase version.

Platinum+ Member
    The trial verison is free, but u can use it forever Alt. try winrar, zipgenius, etc (find more at download.com)
    win 98 duznt have a zipping utility, only XP has it. But XP's zipping utility doesnt offer password protection like winzip. So security is compromised (im assuming pl in ur office wudnt use a bruteforce software/crack to open passsword-protected file )

Triple Platinum Member
    i second tarun...i tried to open his chat logs once...didnt work, cause they were pass protected...

try winrar...seems to handle lots of ext (i think winzip handles only .zip)

well, my boss has since stopped asking me about it.. but i think i would stick with WinZip. like i said earlier, my clients are complete non-tech people. if they dont have a zip utility, they dont know what a .zip file is... and they definately wont know what a rar (or any other compressed file) is.

the main reason i would need to distribute it to them is b/c i need to give them a zip file, and they cant open it... silly people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak8022
    well, my boss has since stopped asking me about it.. but i think i would stick with WinZip. like i said earlier, my clients are complete non-tech people. if they dont have a zip utility, they dont know what a .zip file is... and they definately wont know what a rar (or any other compressed file) is.

the main reason i would need to distribute it to them is b/c i need to give them a zip file, and they cant open it... silly people.
    I suggest you to create a self-extracting archive.
    WinZip, WinRar and many other programs can do this job.

Platinum+ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak8022

lol they'll learn outa neccesity. Dangle some important/interesting file(zipped) in front of 'em, and they'll be forced to learn.....lol....
    besides, theyre (winzip, winrar, zipgenius) etc are really userfriendly softwares. Very easy to use.
    Sounds like an interesting place to work...