Thread: firefox & avg hang in xp pro

Platinum+ Member

firefox & avg hang in xp pro

After I loaded win xp pro on my comp (without sp2), avg update hangs randomly. mozilla is also slow and hangs randomly. After i ran win update (without sp2), same problems remain, but avg lets me update occasionally.
    I have zonealarm free, so i have decreased the security level and enabled avg & mozilla completely. problem persists. What could be the problem?

Platinum+ Member
    Solution
    open FF, then hit ctrl+alt+esc and enter the task manager. go to processes and right click on firefox.exe. go to 'Affinity' and set to CPU0 or only one CPU at a time. this should fix the problem.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Good catch

Triple Platinum Member
    Solution
    open FF, then hit ctrl+alt+esc and enter the task manager. go to processes and right click on firefox.exe. go to 'Affinity' and set to CPU0 or only one CPU at a time. this should fix the problem.
    This one works... I thought you told me it kept getting reset to the default settings...

Platinum+ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rohitkumar
    This one works... I thought you told me it kept getting reset to the default settings...
    Yes, upon closer inspection (by abhi), it seems to be a processor with HT conflict.

This is a permanent solution - Taken from HERE

Alright, now that we know the problem lets figure out a detailed solution. First you should run Firefox in Safe Mode and see whether it is working properly. If it is, the problem must lie in some extension or plugin. Try uninstalling the culprit and the problem would vanish. If that is not the case, then we have a more deep problem in our hands.

Firefox as we all know is a very resource intesive program like Java, Oracle or MySQL. Hence, sometimes the problem might lie in it using more CPU power that it should. Usually this happens in a P4 box since it has some problems with hyperthreading support. In that case, you have to change the program affinity. Here's how to do it:

* Open up Firefox.
    * Hit Ctrl + Alt + Esc and go to the Processes Tab.
    * Right click on firefox.exe and set Affinity to CPU0.

That should invariable fix your problem. However, this is just temporary which means that everytime you open up Firefox, you have to change the Affinity to CPU0. To get it done automatically, follow the following steps (PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PROCESS WILL NOT WORK ON ALL VERSIONS OF WINDOWS):

* There is a file called Imagecfg.exe in your Windows installation CD. Flip the disc in and type in a command prompt window:
    imagecfg -a 0xn <Drive:>\Path\firefox.exe where 0xn is the mask affinity. The mask constraints the application to a specific CPU from 0 to 31.

For instance,

CPU MASK
    0 0x1
    1 0x2
    2 0x4
    3 0x8
    4 0x10
    5 0x20
    6 0x40
    7 0x80
    8 0x100
    etc

To get the affinity to processor 0, type in:
    imagecfg -a 0x1 <Drive:>\Path\firefox.exe

This should yield the following result:

c:\Program Files/firefox.exe contains no configuration information
    c:\Program Files/firefox.exe contains a Subsystem Version of 4.0
    c:\Program Files/firefox.exe updated with the following configuration information:
    Process Affinity Mask: 00000001

Well, that's it you are done.

Please note that this is not an OS fault. It is the fault with the processor. Please contact Intel for more information.

Platinum+ Member
    Can anyone please tell me where I could find an optimised version/build of Firefox that will not hang on account of conflict with HT?

The processor is a P4 3 Ghz (x86 family). Please help.

Can anyone please tell me where I could find an optimised version/build of Firefox that will not hang on account of conflict with HT?

The processor is a P4 3 Ghz (x86 family). Please help.
    its not firefox's fault, its your processor dued. P4 uses a technology called multi-threading that causes the problem with FF and a host of other softwares.
    Last edited by adeydas; April 23rd, 2005 at 17:34 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What chipset is your motherboard? I've never had a problem with Firefox and Hyperthreading, and for that matter never had any software conflict due to Hyperthreading.

Platinum+ Member
    Intel Desktop Board D865GBF

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tarun
    Intel Desktop Board D865GBF
    Have you installed the chipset drivers (.INF)?

Platinum+ Member
    Yes, I installed the chipset drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard.

Platinum+ Member
    Solution -

1. Download imagecfg.exe here
    2. Follow the steps posted above regarding imagecfg.

Note: In my case, I couldnt type in C:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe as the path. I had to enter each of the directories with cd\ and then type firefox.exe as the path.

I cant believe I never googled 'imagecfg' before !!

My Firefox Works! God Bless everybody in the world! (... yes, even Bill Gates)