Thread: computer will not restart

computer will not restart

Im building a new computer and I have the minimum setup. HD, cdrom, powerswitch, speaker connection and video card.

I turn on the computer and runs fine...but then when I go to restart the video drops out and the cpu fan keeps running, but thats it. the only way I can get it to start up, is to clear the CMOS. then it boots..but same thing happens when I go to restart.

I have tried installing windows XP and it gets to the point of starting windows and freezes. I have gone in and flashed the bios but I still have the same problems. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO GO FROM HERE?!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Pull the video card and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, make sure all the eraser crums are off then reseat the card.

what video card do you have ? what about your power supply ? are you changing bios settings after you clear the CMOS ?

Also test your ram with Memtest 86

I have a PCI slot video card w/ an atx 3oowatt power supply. yes I am chnging the bios settings after I clear the CMOS. If I don't then the default boot device is "removable". I will try to clean the video card connections and see what happens. Thank you.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    seems like you know what youre doing but have you double checked the power and reset wires on the mobo. also what do you have the pc doing in the power section of the display prop. is it set to do nothing when you press the power button just throwing some things out there.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I had a similar episode with a system I built.The final solution was a new motherboard.But do try to double check the power and reset switch's polarity(+-) on the connections.After the system starts try to do a shutdown from the start and then restart with the power switch.The computer that gave me that problem would start and stop then power on with the switch only.I sent it back to the vender and got another that worked correctly.Let us know what you find. And welcome to TZ.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.